Chapter 12: Like an Elephant

I laid my back against the old, stone wall. There was a painting just behind me. It was a portrait of poorly drawn natives pouching a beautifully drawn elephant. At the moment, I felt like the elephant. I was about to end up just like the elephant. Nothing but bones. I have no idea how playing a harmless game became life or death. From the beginning, if Oliver never ran away, we'd all be fine. It didn't make any sense. Why did he run? There was something I was missing. Maybe he thought we'd kill him, but still. Wait, it suddenly all made sense. It was obvious, actually. He thought since my hatred for him was so strong, I'd actually kill him. Partially my fault. I always took the games I played against him too seriously. Maybe a bit. I was a little obsessed. It was night. Several hours had passed. There was no source or light but the stars. So it was almost pitch black within the cave, even with my eyes well adjusted to the dark. He had placed a cut down my inner arms for every minute that passed. He made sure I didn't bleed out. For a each minute that would be around one hundred and eighty. They were small, and stung, and somehow he managed to fit them all. He ran out of room a little bit ago and was thinking of something new. My arms were bandaged up. Thankfully they wouldn't be there in the future to leave a scar. Outside of the game, I was pretty sure that wasn't possible. Pretty sure. Knowing I'd get cut every minute made time passes incredibly slowly. I could tell Howles enjoyed the crap out of it.

"You know, in the beginning, we wouldn't of killed you if you didn't run away." I admitted, exhaling softly.

"I couldn't take that chance, plus, your not exactly in a state where I'd believe you." He huffed.

"Then I'll admit to you again when I'm pressing that gun to your forehead."

"Excuse me?" He knelt in front of me, pressing the gun to my forehead. I couldn't care less.

"Are you deaf?"

We went back and forth, arguing until the guy beside me awoke. The third guy was out, trying to find Leah and Mya.

"So how'd you feel when Brian died?" Oliver cackled, like a hammer to my heart. Even though he didn't die, the very mention made me upset. Damn. I felt aggravation fuel my body.

"I'm going to enjoy kicking your ass." I barked, sliding the knife out of my pocket. It was too dark to see it. I started sawing off my restraints. Over my yelling, they could hear the sound. I managed to purposely raised my voice. I didn't expect Leah and Mya to arrive anytime soon. It was a four hour walk there, then a six hour back while slowing to help Brian. Then they'd come all the way back. That is, if they'd even come back for me.