Chapter Four

Another nightmare had her waking in a pool of sweat and tears, she sat up in the bed feeling as though her heart had been ripped from her chest. Her whole body was trembling, and she could still feel the hands of the woman on her body, as she fought against her. The woman's pleas for Magnolia to release her echoed in her mind. She laid down on the pillow and began to whimper as she pulled the blankets to her face. She was thankful that Spongebob Squarepants was still on the television, it gave her mind something else to focus on temporarily.

She glanced at the clock on the nightstand and realized it was already 7:00 a.m., she clambered out of bed and walked into the bathroom. After turning on the light she stared at herself in the mirror. Her eyes were puffy and swollen from crying, she mentally cursed herself for crying most of the night, as if she had a choice. Feelings of being overwhelmed wasn't new for her, but to say the least she was exhausted. She turned on the shower, stepped out of her clothes, and into the spurting water. Upon initial contact, the water stung the cuts on her knee and hands. After a few moments, the pain subsided, and she began to relax. Every drop that rolled off her body helped her to feel renewed, almost as though it could take away the events of the prior night. She hadn't realized how long she had been soaking in the shower until the water began turning lukewarm.

After turning the water off, she stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel and robe around her. She walked out of the bathroom and climbed into the bed without checking the time. She grabbed her phone from the bed and plugged it into the charger. Her head was aching, on the cusp of a migraine. She fetched her purse, mentally thanking herself for bringing Tylenol. After taking the medicine, she dug through her drawers and decided on a navy long sleeve t-shirt and black leggings. After blow drying her hair and putting it in a half-up hair do, she checked her phone.

Benjamin: I'll be there in a few minutes.

Magnolia: Be out in a minute.

She gathered her purse, phone, and room key. After checking herself in the mirror, she walked out the door and held it as it shut. This time she decided to walk out the side door, hoping to avoid the front desk clerk from the prior night. When she reached the parking lot she swiveled her neck, Benjamin was nowhere. As she was pulling her phone out to call him, he stepped out of a sports car and flashed his boyish grin at her. For reasons she didn't understand, seeing him helped ease some of the pain.

Of course he drives that.

She snickered to herself.

"I'm sorry for being late," she said, as she approached him.

"That's fine. It gives me an excuse to bring you back late. Plus, what's a few minutes when we've got a lifetime?" He winked at her.

If words could melt a person, those would be it.

He walked over to the passenger side, held open the door, and waved for her to get in.

She flopped down into his car, realizing how low to the ground it was and quickly adjusted herself in the seat. After shutting her door, he walked around the car and gracefully slid inside. He turned the ignition, put the car in reverse, and sped out of the parking lot. To calm her nerves, she focused on the scenery. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to look at other than trees and she quickly began feeling carsick.

"I'm glad you agreed to go out with me," he said.

"Me too. Can we keep this between us? I don't want Ricky to know we're spending time together."