Chapter Eight

She pulled on a burgundy t-shirt, after deciding not to wear a bra. Then she put on black lounge pants and threw on a black cardigan.

Thank god for the cardigan hiding everything.

When she walked out of the bathroom, she was surprised to find Benjamin sitting on the couch and he had already changed. He patted the seat beside him, signaling for her to sit. She walked over and plopped down beside him, she leaned her head on the armrest and stretched her legs out across his lap. They sat in the stillness as he rubbed her feet and legs.

"You look beautiful by the way," he said, breaking the silence.

"You're too kind. I look as though I crawled out from under a rock." She chuckled.

"As much as I love doting on you, I think we should probably get the day started. You have a lot to do and the sooner we get started, the better."

"Can't we just stay here all day? She groaned.

"I wish."

"Well, are you ready?" she asked.

"Born ready baby." He laughed.

He grabbed her hand and pulled her up from the couch. After gathering their items, they walked out the door and locked it behind them. She followed him down the steps, through the garage door, and into the office.

"I don't even know where to start," she said, as she placed her purse on the desk.

"If it were me, I'd start with writing down everything you remember from being a kid. Anyone that was around your family during that time, anything that seemed suspicious, was there anything that maybe wasn't extremely important at the time but could be now. Unfortunately, it's going to require you remembering everything from the day it happened. Starting there will probably be the best way to eliminate people and hopefully figure out the truth," he said.

"It's painful to go back to those memories."

"I know, but I don't think there's a way around it." He paused. "I wish I could take this away from you."

"I know," she said, forcing a smile.

"I'm going to give you privacy to get started while I make us breakfast. Everything you need is in your desk." He kissed the top of her head.

She glanced at her watch. "It's 12:15."

"Okay then, I'll make us lunch smarty pants." He walked out the door and shut it behind him.

She sat down at the desk and pulled open the drawers to find paper, pens, dry erase markers, a dry erase eraser, and a few other office items. A note fell off the markers as she lifted them from the drawer. It read: My sweet Magnolia, I hope I got everything you need. Please don't forget you have me to lean on. Yours always, Benjamin.

Sometimes she felt as though she could drown in his love. She had never had someone love her so fiercely and without resistance. He had her convinced he would shout it from the rooftops if it weren't for her fear of the fallout from Ricky. Truthfully, she wanted to shout it from the rooftops too. She had heard the corny phrase, "Life as we knew it had ended" and she thought people that thought those things were childish. But in fact, she didn't think they were childish at all anymore. They had found something that most people spend their whole life searching for; someone that entices and changes everything. Life as she knew it had ended and she couldn't be happier about the new path she was embarking on, even if it left her hanging in limbo.