Chapter Fourteen

Everything was fuzzy as her body was repeatedly shoved down then jerked up, her eyes flew open. Benjamin hovered above her shouting her name, momentarily his voice sounded as though it were under water as the thumps of her heartbeat pierced her ears. She ran her fingers across her palms, feeling the sweat beads collect around her nails.

"Wake up," Benjamin shouted.

"Ricky," she whispered.

His face dropped. "What?"

"Ricky."

"What are you talking about?"

"He was in my dream –in the shadows."

A rush of fear clouded his eyes. "Get up. We're leaving now." He pulled the covers from her and scooped her into his arms, pushing her head into his chest.

"Benjamin, I can't. I don't have the strength, my body is rattled –my skin is crawling," she whispered against him.

He carried her down the stairs and sat her on the couch. He squatteddown to her level and softly pushed the hair from her face. His hand raised her chin, forcing her eyes to meet his. "I promise I will explain in the car, but we have to go now."

The desperation was evident on his face. "Okay."

He left the room and quickly returned with all her luggage, sprinting across the house moving in a flash. When he placed the last bag at the door, he gestured for her to follow him. Her legs felt wobbly as they attempted to hold her up, she rubbed the sleep from her eyes and grabbed a few of the smaller bags. Benjamin grabbed the remaining luggage and stepped out onto the porch and began ascending the steps. She pulled the door shut behind her, following him.

"Shit. I didn't lock the door," she said.

"Don't worry about it. I'll text Nat and let him know we left. He'll lock up." He pressed the button on his keys and the trunk of his car popped open and the lights lit the yard.

They shoved everything inside and he ushered her to the passenger seat, then climbed in.

"Did you grab your phone?" The car roared to life.

"Yes."

"Throw it out the window," he said as they sped down the driveway.

"Don't be ridiculous Benjamin. I'm not throwing my phone out. I've trusted you and not asked many questions, but this is too much. I'm not going any further with you until you explain to me what's going on." She crossed her arms over her chest.

He stared at her momentarily then his eyes returned to the road. "If you've ever trusted me even an ounce, you need to channel all of that and trust me right now."

"I'm scared."

Headlights shone into her eyes; she raised her hand to shield her face as she looked away. Benjamin's jaw tightened and the car accelerated, blurring their surroundings. She closed her eyes and clutched the door handle, after a few moments she felt a hand rest on her knee.

"Magnolia." Her eyes slowly opened.

Her phone began buzzing, she leaned down and retrieved it from her purse. "It's him."

"Don't answer. I told you to throw that thing out."

Ricky's truck flew past them and cut over in front of them, slamming on his brakes. Benjamin cursed when they came to a complete stop. He told her to remain in the car as he slung his door open and stepped out. Benjamin began shoving his finger into Ricky's chest and she could see the tension rising rapidly. They both looked in her direction when she opened the door, stepped out, and slammed the car door.