Chapter One

"Thanks, have a great day," the cashier said. She shut the register's drawer and handed Magnolia her change with a smile. Magnolia gripped the wrinkled bill and hoped the ten dollars of gas she just purchased would be enough to make it to Penseton without having to make any more stops.

Magnolia walked out of the highway gas station, pumped the gas, and fell into the seat of her 2014 Chevy Cruze. She could almost smell home; she just wasn't quite close enough yet. Magnolia had been living in New York since she turned eighteen, Penseton held so many bad memories for her and things she wasn't sure she was ready to face.

No time like the present, I guess.

Her mom unexpectedly died when she was twelve, leaving behind her, her sister; Violet, and her dad; Leo. There had been a long string of murders in the area, and she was attacked outside her work on her way home. She was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The Penseton County Sheriff's Department had been vague when sharing detail of what happened, as if they had something to hide. But every time she tried to entertain the idea; her dad stopped her. She had minimal contact with him since leaving, he never understood what she went through after her mom died. He came to terms with it too easily; if her dad hadn't been the easy going, loving dad he had been for years, she might have believed he was somehow involved.

She finally passed the "Penseton County Exit 28" sign, she sighed in relief. Even though she was glad to be done driving finally, she was unsure if she was ready to face the people she had left behind seven years ago. She pulled off the highway and into Mill's Motel parking lot. Located on the corner of Main Street, it was the area's only lodging option. As she pulled into a parking spot, she noticed the motel looked dead. Even the buildings leading to the Motel were more worn than she remembered. Her car had bounced and jerked on the road that hadn't been paved since she left. The population seemed as though it had been cut in half and nothing seemed the same.

Duh. It's been seven years.

After she put the car into park she stepped out of the car, the fall air caused her to shiver. She walked into the entrance and was instantly reminded of after prom with Ricky. The lobby area hadn't changed much, the lights were still dim and had an orange tint, the green and yellow striped chair and couch were still positioned adjacent to the television, and the carpet was still green with red flowers. The only thing that had changed was the desk, they had lowered the counters and looked as though they had new computers.

"How can I help you ma'am?" the young man asked, as he stepped out to the front desk.

"I was wondering if you had any rooms available?" she asked.

"Of course, how long will you be staying?" he began clicking on the computer, seeming monotonous.

"Is it possible to leave the checkout date empty for now? I'm not sure how long I'll be in town."

The man looked at her wearily, she could see the frustration cross over his face momentarily.

"I'll put you down for a week, if you need to check out early or extend your stay, we can accommodate you," he said.

"That sounds perfect, thank you."

She began digging through her purse to find her debit card, it was tucked under some coupons in her wallet. She handed it to the clerk.

"Our card reader is currently not working; I apologize but there is an ATM down the street at Mill's Convenience."

She sighed and placed the card back in her wallet.