32

The secluded mountain residence was very peaceful.

The guards stood outside whilst the young maids worked inside, looks were exchanged as familiar faces greeted one another with occasional encounters. Love was in the air.

Hongqiang upon noting that Zuiju was accompanying Pingting, smiled as she slipped outside to play. Pingting and Zuiju did not mind.

There was little snowfall these days, and the sun shone brightly. Its warm rays melted the thin layer of ice and snow on the ground. Zuiju was always worried about Pingting slipping hence insisted on accompanying her every time she went for a walk.

"Please take care, the ground is slippery."

Pingting stood beneath the plum blossom tree, stretching to pluck the buds. She laughed, "Every single time I take a step you keep reminding me. If you're that worried, you may as well help me then."

Helpless, Zuiju could only move to help Pingting with her task by pulling down the plum tree branches, allowing her to pluck the buds.

"Didn't you wish to display these in your room?"

"No," Pingting mischievously replied, revealing a cheeky smile, "for cooking."

"Cooking?"

She could just imagine the fragrant smell of crane boiled in a mixture of herbs and plum blossom buds.

Pingting cheerfully placed the flower buds and blossoms into a small dish as she began, "I suddenly recall reading in an old text about the medical properties of plum blossoms. I plan to add these buds together with some sugar, salt, wine and winter vegetables and make some preserves in the traditional Gui Le style. When the Duke returns, we can enjoy some together."

Zuiju quickly reminded, "I have never heard of the idea of using plum blossoms in medicine, so I have no idea of its effects. It should be fine for the Duke to try some but you must take care."

"I know", Pingting replied, "Haven't I followed your nutritional guidelines?"

Realising how far her thoughts had wandered and the truth in Zuiju's words, Pingting cheeks darkened in embarrassment.

"It's such a shame that it's winter, there are very few flowers in bloom. Once Spring and Summer arrive there will be many more to choose from and we can make so many dishes. For example, there are more than five ways of cooking to cook a peony." Pingting continued whilst picking more buds. After a while however she began to feel a bit tired. Since she was currently pregnant with Chu Beijie's child, she must never risk overexerting herself. Pingting handed her plate to Zuiju, and the two of them returned to Pingting's quarters.

"It's sunset already." Pingting remarked, "The Duke should have received the command flag by now."

She was only half correct.

Chu Beijie had long received the command flag but he had still yet to depart.

Chu Beijie was guarding Concubine Li's residence. On the outside he looked calm and collected as always, inside he was very anxious.

On the dawning of the fifth day, he had already missed his planned departure date.

He wondered how Pingting was coping. She was eager to celebrate his birthday together. He feared how greatly she would be hurt by his broken promise.

He wouldn't be able to bear it if he caused that utterly desolate look to appear in her eyes again.

"Will Duke keep me company? It will snow tomorrow. Please allow me to play some music for you to appreciate the snowfall."