45

There were always a few unpredictable days.

Just after two days of sun, the sky began to scowl again. Dense clouds hung overhead, darkly shrouding both near and far mountains.

Zuiju studied the sky and sighed. "Looks like another snowstorm."

Pingting leaned against the rock as she ascended the sleeping mountain slope. She was slightly panting as she silently assessed the blurry figures of people drifting far away below her. "Xiaoyang Mountain is just ahead. After that checkpoint, we'll be in Bei Mo. Worry about the snowstorm later."

Zuiju nodded.

Their initial bags had been stolen by officials while they were guests at an old couple's cabin. They no longer had any money or clothes. They would doctor the occasional sick person to earn back a little but overall, it was another additional worry on their journey. Their tender hands had been rubbed until they formed a cocoon layer.

Today they saw one of the checkpoints to get to Bei Mo, Xiaoyang Mountain. The two heaved a sigh of relief. When they got to Bei Mo, Yangfeng would surely help them settle in. The two helped support each other down from the top of the mountain. They were much more careful than setting off. After all, they had experienced countless hardships on their journey from the capital of Yun Chang to here. They quietly hid themselves in the forest trail, lurking at the edge of the road as they studied the movement on the Xiaoyang Mountain.

A few people resembling merchants led a cart, ready to pass the checkpoint. As if knowing that a snowstorm would soon come, the leader of the merchants peered at the skies anxiously. He took out a bag of coins from his arms and stuffed it into the captain of the guards. He held his hands as he begged, "Sir, look at this weather. A snowstorm is about to come, even if people can last, our livestock cannot. Please spare us and let us cross without further ado. I exit every month at least three or four times, so how could I possibly not have an approved exit pass? It's just that this checkpoint never checks for it, so today is a bit sudden..."

"So you're blaming us, eh?" The captain harrumphed. "It never used to be checked, because our superiors never told us to check. A war is going on now. A war, do ya understand? The documents are hung over there and if you're literate enough, then read them yourself. It's clearly written. Without an approved exit pass, you cannot cross this checkpoint."

In the bushes, the two who overheard their conversation exchanged a worried glance.

"This place is just like Hemeng Mountain, only those with an approved exit pass are allowed to cross." Zuiju's face was sad, "What to do? We spent all that bitter effort rushing over from the Hemeng Mountain."

Pingting's deep black eyes stared at the narrow gap between the old doors of the Xiaoyang Mountain gate. "It seems that all of the checkpoints from Yun Chang to Bei Mo have been strictly ordered to only allow those with an approved exit pass to cross."

She should of thought of it earlier. Checkpoint inspections were bound to be strengthened when war dawned.

Yun Chang couldn't possibly allow surprise attacks from Bei Mo that would significantly injure them while caught up with the battle against Dong Lin.

"What to do?"

"No other choice." Pingting raised her head, looking at the towering mountains obscured by clouds.

This stretch of mountains separated the two countries, Yun Chang and Bei Mo. Checkpoints had been set on all of the slightly lower mountains. In the winter, the forests in the tall mountains were bitterly freezing and the animals were starving. Only madmen would attempt to cross that way.