48

Apart from Gui Le, there was still another army eyeing the armies of Yun Chang and Dong Lin.

After Ze Yin had resigned, retiring to a secluded residence, Ruohan succeeded the position of Bei Mo's Main General. He had accompanied Ze Yin for many years through civil wars and military exploits as well as the necessary characteristics, so his promotion was expected by all.

Ruohan led the Bei Mo army, waiting not far away from Yun Chang's borders. Bei Mo was almost destroyed by Chu Beijie in the last battle, so all of Bei Mo's generals viewed him as a grim reaper. If they could slip between the gaps between Yun Chang and Dong Lin, adding their own two cents in killing Chu Beijie, then naturally it would give great benefits to Bei Mo.

However...

"The battle has ended."

"Not ended, more like they didn't start at all."

"What's going on?"

Inside the advisory tent, Ruohan settled the army reports in his hands down onto the table. He then held his hands behind his back as he raised his head to look at the round ceiling of the tent.

"Main General?"

"Bai Pingting..." Ruohan seemed to be trying to remember it all, returning to Kanbu City back then. "Miss Bai, what on earth did you write in you letter to stop a battle? Ruohan has no idea whether to feel disappointment or admiration towards you." A wry smile appeared on his face.

Even now, he could still deeply remember that qin sound. The Kanbu city walls had been crumbling, a devastating condition, when Chu Beijie appeared with several thousands of elite soldiers outside the city. Then, at that very moment, he heard the most melodious music.

Bai Pingting positioned herself on a high palanquin. Her long sleeves directed the wind, flying lightly.

She saved Kanbu, saved Bei Mo. Or it could also be said that Ruohan promotion as Main General was all thanks to the plans she had set out in those days.

Yet, where was the woman who caused all of Bei Mo's generals to willingly lower their heads today?

"Main General, the army of Dong Lin has already withdrawn. What shall we do?"

"The deciding war has not started, therefore the core of the Dong Lin army is not hurt. We mustn't be stupid to take the initiative in attacking. Since this opportunity is no more, get all divisions to withdraw too." Ruohan resolutely ordered, "Pass on this Order, rest tonight and return early morning tomorrow."

The various generals returned their positions. Sen Rong, the Commander of the Right Wing, was the last to leave and he stopped at the door of the tent. He thought for a while before walking back to ask, "General, is there any news about Miss Bai?"

"I heard that she has left Yun Chang. Her whereabouts are unknown." Ruohan sighed.

Sen Rong frowned. "She is hated by the King of Dong Lin for murdering his sons. Yun Chang's He Xia wants to imprison her, and it seems that she can't return to Gui Le either. General, do you think she'll..."

"I think so too." Ruohan nodded. "When we leave tomorrow, you can choose thirty of your most competent subordinates to stay and to patrol near the borders. If they can meet her, then we've at least helped a little."

Sen Rong quickly nodded at this. "Yes, I was thinking that too. Sigh, it leaves quite a bitter taste in my mouth, but that's all we can do." He looked at Ruohan before opening his mouth again. The words were however got in his throat, and he couldn't pull them back out again. In the end, he refrained.

Ruohan could see he had stopped his words. There were only the two of them in the tent. They were brothers who had fought for many years together on the battlefield. There was no way one didn't understand what the other was thinking. He lowered his voice, "You don't need to say any more, I totally understand. Ever since General Ze Yin left, the King's thoughts has become more and more unpredictable. No one would've thought that the King would ally with He Xia to form an army of three hundred thousand to pressure Dong Lin's borders, forcing the King of Dong Lin to hand over Miss Bai. It seemed that the bad deed did not get punished. Even if people despised the idea, the King's Order is not to be breached. Sen Rong, I have led troops for many years, but I had never felt so guilty when leading them until that moment."