Family

Summary:

"When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching..
they are your family. "

~ Jim butcher

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

___________________________

CHAPTER 5

Reyna paced around nervously in the Garden of Bacchus. The Garden was her most favourite place in the whole of Rome. She figured that the humming of the bees and the smell of grapes would calm her down.

The worst thing about being a demigod is the dreams. They can range from being informative to downright terrifying and nonsensical.

Right now the scale tipped somewhere between the two.

She sighed and walked up to the edge from where she could see the entire valley.

Despite her current tense disposition, she was captivated, just as she had been many times before by the sheer beauty of her casa.

The first rays of the sun painted the landscape in a dull blue, still hidden beneath the hills. It had rained the last day, reminiscent raindrops shone as dew on leaves and grass blades.

She closed her eyes and breathed in the scent of the rain.

A leaf rustled behind her and in an instant her gladius was in her hand as she readied herself for whatever dared to take her on.

"I'm friendly." Came the voice of Nico di Angelo, a smirk on his face his hands up in '-please-don't-stab-me-' manner.

"Nico? What are you doing here? She asked surprised " ..and how in Jupiter did you find me?" Her eyes narrowing in suspicion.

"Well I was sneaking around-" Reyna rolled her eyes muttering 'as usual'. Nico glared at her but continued "-and I saw you. So I followed you."

Reyna didn't understand why, but that made her feel strangely warm. A smile blossomed on her face.

"Worried?" She said cheekily.

He gaped at her like fish, before mumbling something inaudible.

She was tempted to tease him a bit more, but decided to spare him at the sight of his red face.

"Come here." She said gesturing for him to join her. He inched closer to where Reyna was standing.

"I hope you aren't going att-Wow."

"Uh huh" she said. "Wow."

"You know of all the gardens in Rome, this is my favorite." She confessed.

"The garden of Bacchus.. Dionysus..used to be one of my favorite gods." He said chuckling, but then his expression turned guarded.

Reyna eyed him curiously but decided not to probe further.

"Guess why?" She asked gently.

There were only few people Reyna would trust with her life. But Nico was the only person she could talk to so openly...about anything. And maybe even Coach Hedge. They were a team after all. She had grown fond of the satyr and his crazy antics.

Nico pondered over that.

"It overlooks Rome. You can see everything from here?"

"Maybe."