Chapter 4

[04— The Halloween Fair]

|| Your POV ||

   You waved Liam goodbye through your car window, the little boy standing on his friend's porch with them. He smiled in his tiger costume, a sight I was glad to see after last night.

   As you rolled away and down the street, you shut your car window and let out a sigh. Another thing you were glad for was that your brother was going to trick-or-treat with his friends from school. Since you wouldn't have to walk him around all night, you would get to go and have fun with your friends.

   At a stop sign, you quickly double-checked where to meet your friends and began to drive to the designated location. Your arms itched a bit from your costume, but it was easy to ignore, as the thoughts swirling in your head about tonight were plenty distracting.

   Melina was excited that you were able to come, and was, of course, ready to see you and Nico together again. She was already there with everyone else, though she refused to tell you what Nico's costume was. Vie was too busy texting with Nadia, who was hosting the party, to text much, but she was happy that you could make it nonetheless. Melina had to convince you to message Nico, and all you could think to tell him was that you were excited to hang out again. It was such a dumb thing to say, you thought, but at least he said he was too.

   First stop was the fair with you, Nico, Melina, and Vie, and then it was to the party to meet up with Nadia. You took in a deep breath, seeing all of the cars parked for the fair and pulling in to join them.

   It took a five minute phone call with Melina and some wandering about the fair until you finally managed to spot your friends. There was an abundance of noise, both from the people and the activities. People crowded the grounds, all in their own getups and running around with friends or family. Strangely, you found yourself glancing around once in a while as you wandered, as if expecting to see a certain blue mask amongst the crowd.

   You reached your friends, and they all cheered at your arrival, Melina bouncing over and slinging and arm around you. She had dressed up as a zombified nurse, and even covered in fake blood and gashes, she was still stunning. Vie was a character from her favourite video game. It was the one with the black cape and long boots, but you could not recall the character's name for the life of you. You looked at Nico, and... well, he was something you certainly weren't expecting. He was the slasher from your favourite horror movie, getting it down to almost perfect detail, from the white mask to the tattered black coat to the excessive amount of blood.

   Nico lifted his mask, revealing that his face, too, was covered in fake blood, and he smiled at you. You could not help but stare a little into his dark eyes, marvelling at how good his brown features looked splattered in dark red. Is it weird to think he's cute covered in blood?

   You blinked rapidly as you snapped out of your trance, returning the smile he gave. "Hey, I can't believe you dressed up as him!"

   He chuckled, pulling the mask back down. Melina stepped away from you as the man lifted up his machete, pointing it at you. "Pretty cool, huh?"

   "Yeah!" Your smile widened as you stepped over, examining the costume further. "You look just like him!"

   "Thanks," he said, his voice gently muffled by the mask. "I know this is your favourite killer, so I, uh, I-I thought I'd surprise you."

   You heard Melina snicker behind you, and your cheeks warmed up. "O-Oh? Really? Th-That's awesome, I—"

   "Bleugh." Vie leaned in abruptly, playfully sticking her tongue out. "Let's cut to the chase and start getting crazy. My feet are gonna start hurting any minute now."