Chapter 27

[27— The Harbinger]

   You were a shaking mess.

   Jeff led you down the hall where a few other cult members were waiting together, their large hoods covering their faces. Your cuffs were still loose around your wrists, being easily removable. You kept your head down, rehearsing the plan over and over again in your head.

That plan was risky. You doubted if it would even work, but you had no choice but to bet everything on it anyways.

   Just, please... please, let this work out.

   One of the members bowed their head in a nod before they all turned and began down the hall, taking the lead for you and Jeff. They led you to the main room, where dozens of more cult members stood around the sigil, all of the candles scattered about the the room now lit.

   At this point, you had broken out into a cold sweat. I just have to go along with it long enough for Jeff to apply the Mixture to his knife. I just have to—

   Growling interrupted your thoughts, and as Jeff pushed you toward the centre, your eyes locked onto the sounds of chains rattling, seeing Jack hunched over on the ground with a iron collar around his neck and a cultist holding him there like a dog on a leash, sharp teeth biting and gnawing at his own lips. Apparently Zeke's kidneys had barely sufficed, though he did not appear completely lost, as he was not yanking and ripping at his chains.

   "They're gonna sacrifice him again," Jeff explained quickly, "but we won't let them. You and your brother are the food, because they have to agitate the demon inside of him in order to fully transform him, and like hell they're gonna give up some of their own. That thing will be there, like I said. Don't worry about any of that shit, though. Just go along with it. Jack will be just conscious enough for us to use him or our advantage, but... you gotta talk to him, yeah?"

   You nodded, glancing at the door to the cell. "You really think he'll recognise me?"

   "Who could forget your annoying voice?"

   Static crackled in your ears, and you stared up at The Harbinger, eyes wide. Jeff shoved you into the sigil, your feet scuffing on all of the dried blood as you stumbled to maintain your balance, and then he went to stand in the open spot near The Harbinger.

   You could feel all of their eyes on you, though yours were stuck on Jack. He pricked at his own face with his nails, and you were unsure as to how aware he was about what was going on.

   There was a loud, high-pitched crying, and your head whipped in the direction of it, immediately recognising it. Two more cultists were approaching from a different hallway, carrying an unruly Liam to the middle.

   You watched as a few of the cultists parted, allowing them through. Liam was kicking and screaming for his life, but froze when he saw you.

   Neither of your eyes left one another as they launched him forward, the little boy flailing in his restraints as he stumbled toward you. Reaching out your hands, you snatched him up and pressed him against you, the relief flooding through and rimming your eyes with tears.

   You glared daggers at the two cultists that had brought him. "It took two of you bastards to carry one little boy?" you growled at them.

   They said nothing, only taking their place in the circle.

   Liam was now crying softly in your arms, shaking. As you looked over him, you noticed the specks of blood, and wondered just what things they made him witness.