Chapter 20

[20– Heated]

"**" marks the beginning and end of a certain moment, for those who do not care for it (it's mild, but I thought I'd put it here anyways).

Also, sorry for the late update, real life has been keeping me rather occupied ^^||

——————————————————

   The hit you had taken to the face was definitely going to bruise, but after what Jeff had said last before leaving you, that was the least of your problems.

   The room was dark, save for the silver bands of moonlight cascading through the window behind you, plastering a silhouette of the window on the dirty carpet next to your feet. Liam was asleep on the bed again, and you were lying on your makeshift one on the floor. You were staring up at the ceiling, waiting to see if Jack would enter the room or if you would fall asleep first.

   The answer was the prior. The door opened and closed with a gentle creak, and soft footsteps neared you. You did not move. Jack came into your field of vision, lowering down next to you. He leaned forward, blocking your view of the ceiling with his masked face.

   "Hey," he said quietly, sweetly. He always spoke so gently with you. It was one of the many things you loved about him.

   "Hey," you echoed, voice empty. "You're blocking the view."

   He continued to whisper. "No... I am the view."

   It earned a small smile from you. "Yeah. You're a great view."

  He shifted, reaching out to you and cupping your arm, his gloved hand warm against your skin. He leaned back, and you followed him with your gaze, finally seeing that his legs were crossed as he sat at your side, his free hand tucked up underneath his chest and resting on his leg. He twisted his hand to take yours. "Is there anything you do want to talk about?"

  You pulled yourself up from your pillow, now sitting in front of him. "Do you remember, out in the fields, what I said that day?"

   "Um..." Jack seemed to ponder over his memories. "About wanting to leave the town?"

  "No." You chuckled. "Well, I did say that, but I mean after that. About maybe letting you know what I really look like?" You supposed it was as good as a distraction as any from your thoughts.

   He stilled. "Oh."

   Your heart beat was strong against your chest, but you felt you were ready to explain. "Yeah." You gently squeezed his hand. "Do you want to know?"

   "Yes," he replied.

   You smiled, more genuinely that time, and lifted his hand, taking your other one to it. Wordlessly, you began to tug and slip his glove off of him.

   "What are you doing?" he asked, but did not resist as you pulled the glove off.

   "You'll see." You reached for his other hand, taking hold of it and tugging off that glove, too.

   "I'll see, huh?"

   You lightly shoved him on the shoulder. "You know what I mean."

   As soon as you had the glove off, his fingers entwined with yours, locking your hand in his. Heat stoked in your face, the warmth and livelihood of his bare hand against yours unexpectedly pleasant.

   "No," you said in amusement. You peeled his hand out of yours, then taking up both of his hands by the wrists.

   You guided his hands toward you, placing them against you and allowing him to feel. You remained as calm as you could, explaining what you looked like. You drifted his hands slowly upward across your features, describing your skin colour, your height, and various other things, and eventually rested his hands on both sides of your face.