Second Chances, Warehouses, and Underground Tunnels

"Nat and I talked it over and you're not going to go to prison for murder. We've decided to expedite your enrollment. So welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D. Dani." Maria says as she tosses a badge at her.

"W-what? Seriously?" Dani asks kind of confused and angry at the same time. "So me killing my little brother got me a job? Why won't you guys let me own up to what I did?" 

"You already have and because you were defending yourself that's number one, in rules of engagement. You were fired upon with no warning and were justified in returning fire." Maria says. "As for your brother I'm sorry it happened, but we will bring Yuri to justice. We need to hurry seeing as though your outing has gained his attention. He's sending out squads to search for you." 

"I'm sorry, I don't know if I can accept this position, it's not right. I'd rather be locked up." Dani says tossing the badge on the bed and looking at everyone in the room before leaving the tent.

"Why are you so fucking stubborn?!" Yelena yells since she has had enough and chases after Dani.

"I'm not arguing with you Lena. I need to pay for what I did. Why do I deserve a second chance for doing something evil?" Dani says as she turns to face Yelena.

"Because, you do. You're not evil for what you've done. You don't need to punish yourself. Maybe I'm being selfish but you're the only one who's been able to look at me, and not see a monster for what I've done. You believed I was worthy of a second chance so why do you, believe that you don't?" Yelena says cupping Dani's face and searching her eyes.

"Because Lena, all my life I've fought to keep him safe, and I failed he died by my hand. I just can't live with it." Dani says closing her eyes as tears escape she pulls Yelena's hand away from her face to kiss the center of her palm.

"Malysh, please listen to me. You've given me a chance at a normal life and I don't want to lose that. You can be upset and angry about what happened, but I'm not losing you. So you're going to go in there, tell Maria that you'll accept the position she offered you and that you're willing to work to bring Yuri down." Yelena says softly but firm.

"Fine, I'll do it for my brother." Dani replies before she starts to walk back to the tent.

"Hey. Dani." Yelena yells causing Dani to stop and turn around. "You're a jagoff, but you're my jagoff. I love you." 

Dani smiles and shakes her head before she says, "I love you too babe." 

Dani enters the tent again and looks over to Maria, "I'm sorry Maria. I want to thank you for this opportunity and I'm ready to work if you choose to take me back."

"I'm glad you've come to your senses. Let's go to work." Maria says standing up and leaving the tent to call a meeting.

Everyone enters into the operations tent for the meeting, Maria tells everyone that Dani has now become a member of S.H.I.E.L.D. and that her brother is deceased. Bucky, Steve, and Sam look over at Dani with anguish written across their faces. Once the plan is laid out everyone leaves to get suited up. Dani exits the tent to find Bucky, Steve and Sam waiting for her.

"Dani, we're so sorry about your brother." Steve says with a quick hug.

"I know it wasn't an easy decision and I'm sorry it was you who had to pull the trigger." Bucky says with a sniffle and a tight hug. "If you need someone to talk to let me know. I'm more than happy to."

"No, it wasn't and I'll probably be haunted by it for the rest of my life. Thank you Bucky, I appreciate it." Dani says squeezing one last time before letting go to wipe her eyes.

"Dani, you know I love you like a sister, if you need anything please let me know. I'm sorry this happened, but we're going to kick Yuri's ass." Sam says hugging her tight.