Chapter 1: that strange boy

Vance Hopper is a strange boy.

He never came to school early, wears whatever he wants, Listens to loud rock and metal and many other things that were different from most boys in Galesburg.

Sometimes you thought all he cared about was pinball. He never did his work and He definitely never apologised for anything.

When he did come to school however, he'd lean back on his chair and didn't take crap from anyone.

He's tough though. Like a bucket of nails. A stubborn boy and a complete nonchalant.

He's famous in your small town. But not in a good way.

Kids are scared of him and all the adults think he's a bad influence. I mean, you don't blame em' He'd been arrested so many of times already that its a normal thing for the police to lock him up over night.

You had to hand it to him though, even you'd be scared being locked up in a cell like that.

Previously, Vance got held back by two years but finally they got sick of him and moved him up to where he belongs. The 10th grade.

So now he's here. In your class.

Your peaceful history class. Which was now abruptly interfered with.

He's sitting a few seats from you near the front. The teacher shoved him there so there isn't any monkey business. His head was bobbed down and you could tell he had a scowl on his face.

He clearly, did not want to be there.

"Ms Lydon, may I go to the bathroom please?" you raise your hand. You had been waiting to go to the bathroom since last period and couldn't wait any longer.

She excuses you so you get up and as you pass Vance, he stares at you for a brief moment before looking away.

Vance didn't know who you were. 

You weren't sure if he cared enough to remember anyone's name. Even though you'd been going to school with him since the 1st grade, you never really talked to him.

You give him a stare back. You glance at his bushel of blond hair in a curly shag, thick expressive brows and piercing blue eyes that anyone would be intimidated by.

-

You finish your bathroom break and head back to class. Through the window of the door you could see figures moving aggressively and as you inch your way closer, you hear a loud and rough voice.

"WHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT ME FUCKHEAD!"

Great, we gotta show.

You peak through the door window and see Vance had stood up from his seat. He seemed to be facing one of the boys in your class.

Jeffrey Springer. He's one of the more popular boys. He's a loud mouth and an athlete, nothin much else to him.

"Shut up cunt, why're you even here anyway?" He questions letting out a laugh, "aren't you suppose to be with the 8th graders?"

Jeffrey's definitely pushing it. What's with him? Hadn't he ever heard of Vance Hopper?

Vance huffs and picks up his table. You could see the pure muscle in his arms. He's wearing a denim vest overtop of a plain white tank, light-washed denim jeans and brown lace ups. He made picking up the table appear easy.

You could see a vain pop out his neck from his anger. He had a woven choker on with a daisy painted on the bead in the centre. You smile incoherently due to its oddness.

"SAY ANYTHING ELSE AND YOUR DEAD MOTHERFUCKER" Vance screams, voice manic.  He hurls the table at Jeffrey and it skids on the floor as he dodges it just in time. If he didn't, that boy would've been squashed.

You gulp, you didn't know who you wanted to win. They're both assholes.

Vance punches Jeffrey a number of times making his nose bleed.

"s-s-stop... please..." Jeffrey manages to choke out. Blood dripped from his nose into his mouth as he choked.

The crowd becomes feral.

Students and teachers from other classes had emerged from their rooms and to watch the fight.

At this point, Jeffrey didn't stand a chance. By the time that Jeffrey was knocked out, Ms Lydon who was shivering in the corner had called school security.

Even the teachers were too scared to interfere with Vance Hopper.

Vance is ushered to the door with blood covered knuckles.

He makes eye contact with you again, but you can't seem to move. "Out of the way" he says shoving you.

The plain force just knocks you into the wall.