Chapter 5: Vance's room

It's Friday after school and your nervous.

Real nervous.

You clutch the handles of your backpack tight.

What if he bails on you?

You ponder further...if he doesn't come in the next 5 minutes you'd walk home.

You had a poster paper in your bag along with a peripheral of coloured stationary.

You assumed Vance didn't own any.

All he brought to school was a single chewed up, blunt pencil and a book that looked like he's used it since the second grade.

Your lost in thought until you feel a hand tap you harshly on the shoulder, almost like a shove.

You swivel to see Vance holding about 6 thick books in his arms.

All quiet on the Western Front, The guns of August, The First war and etc...

Wow he really was serious about this.

"Just stay behind me" he says and you nod.

As you walk out the gate everyone...and I mean everyone stares at you both. Vance doesn't seem to care, he stays unbothered.

But you certainly care. The stares are intensive. You wonder what everyone is thinking. You? Friends with Vance? Or even worse...what if they thought you two were together. Now that's a funny thought.

Vance didn't dilly dally and trudged along quite fast.

It was hard to keep up.

-

"We're here" he mopes.

His house is nothing like you imagined. Its big. 2 stories and painted a clean beige colour. A veranda out front and a garden blooming with fresh flowers.

A perfect looking home.

You stand there with your mouth wide.

"Hurry up."

Vance snaps you back to reality and you both head inside.

You enter what you guess is the living room and it's just as clean as the outside.

It was so neat and tidy that you start to think Vance led you into some strangers house. Was he trynna get you convicted of theft or something?

You hang your bag on the hooks by the door and to take your shoes off.

"Vance?" You hear a feminine voice call from another room. "Are you home?"

"Yes ma!"

His voice becomes less course. It softens a bit, like you would talking to a dog or baby.

A lady in her late 30's emerges from the hallway. Down her shoulders lay silky blonde hair, all done up in voluminous curls. Her eyes a bright blue just like Vance's. The woman wore a blue floral dress and pink apron on top.

"Hi honey" she looks at you and gets all giddy. "Who is this? Is she..." she blushes.

You knew exactly what she was suspecting. Girlfriend. She was gonna say girlfriend.

"No ma, we're doing a project together."

Together. You never thought you'd hear that come from Vance's vocabulary.

His mothers face becomes embarrassed in her speculation.

"Oh why that's lovely! You never have guests over Vancey" she laughs, "if you two need anything..let me know!"