iii. aziel

AZIEL

Everyone is confused. I am. Hart's officemates are. But our confusion stems from two different reasons.

They are confused because of my reaction. I am confused because of the answer I got when I asked where Hart is.

"What?" I want to make sure I heard it right.

The woman next to Hart's workstation looks at me, wide-eyed. I can't figure out if her reaction is solely out of confusion or if there's something more. She seems embarrassed as she stares at me, but I can't think of a reason why she would be. Perhaps it's fear instead of embarrassment. Perhaps she's one of those people who think I'm mentally unstable.

Now, I am aware that not all people here are like that, but a lot of them are. And I can feel those lots giving me a strange look at the moment. I'm used to it by now.

"Uhm... Hart called in sick this morning," the woman stammers.

A frown crosses my face. I don't want to overthink, but I feel uneasy. Hart and I were just talking last night, and he seemed perfectly fine. He even sent me a message at an ungodly hour about the report we're supposed to be discussing today. Why did he suddenly get sick now?

Closing my eyes, I take a deep breath.

No, don't think of something horrible. I will myself. Maybe he stayed too long on the rooftop last night and caught a cold. That must be it. I am just overthinking.

But as much as I try to convince myself, I can't calm down. I can feel my heart beating hard against my chest.

It's fine. Hart is totally fine.

"Are you alright, Aziel?"

I feel something warm wrap around my hand. When I open my eyes, I see the same woman holding my shaking hand with a worried expression on her face.

I shake my head as if to get rid of the uncomfortable thoughts. Carefully pulling my hand out of the woman's hold, I answer, "I'm fine. I just have something to talk about with Hart regarding the report I sent him yesterday, so I'm looking for him." I'm relieved to hear that my voice sounds normal.

It's necessary that I keep it together. I don't want to give those nosy people another reason to think I'm insane.

"Do you want me to give you Hart's phone number?" The woman then asks.

What is her name again? Daisy? Dahlia? I remember it being the name of a flower, but I can't be sure because our company is too big to remember all the names of the employees, especially those who are from other departments.

"No, it's not really that urgent." I wonder if she realizes that there is something odd about her offer. What would I need Hart's personal contact for if we're talking about business reports? "I can just contact him through his business email, if ever," I tell her.

Daisy or Dahlia smiles. Maybe I was wrong for thinking she was one of those nasty people. The expressions she's shown since earlier all seem kind and genuine.

"That's not it," she says, "You seem to be really worried about Hart, so I just thought you might want to check how he's doing."

I'm stumped and have no way of denying that. But right now, what I am more worried about are the eavesdroppers around. Are they getting this? I can only hope they don't start another stupid rumor from it.

It seems like the woman catches on to her mistake. Looking at me with a sheepish smile, she diverts the subject. "Anyway, wouldn't you let me check Hart's computer and look at the report you're talking about?"