Chapter 1

Sbusiso (Sbudah)

Today was yet another bad day, walking up and down in town, handing out my CV's but got the same response 'sorry sir but unfortunately we are not hiring at the moment'.

I really need to find a job so I can assist at home, and the situation is even worse now since my mother had a stroke.

I head to the taxi rank and board a taxi home, and in thirty minutes I arrive at home and I find everything the same way I did at the morning, dirty dishes and pots in the sink, meaning my sister didn't bother trying to clean the house, and that means she didn't even check upon mama (mom).

I plug the kettle so I can have warm water so I can bath her, when I enter her room I am welcomed by the smell of urine.

me: Mom please wake up so you can bath
Kim: Sbusiso ngwanaka (my child), it is not your job to bath me, you are a boy, you are not supposed to bath me, I am ashamed of you seeing me like this (she starts crying)
me: you are my mother, and you said that everything is 50/50 meaning what a man can do, a woman can also do.
So no more arguments.

I begin to bath her and in no time I am done, mom let's make you sit on your wheelchair, while I change the bed, and when I am done I will make you something to eat.