3, crack/angst | what's done is done

Summary: Tanah travels into the future and sees some unfamiliar familiar faces.

Extra Notes: Daun/Duri, Petir/Halilintar, Api/Blaze are females while the others remain the same.

Tanah should have slapped Cahaya into the sun when he had the chance. It might not solve his current predicament, but he could laugh at the memory to tide him over on his worst days.

This? This would count as a bad day. Whether if it will turn into The Worst, he'll have to wait and see.

Especially considering the fact that Cahaya's supposed time machine had stranded him in what appeared to be the future, smack dab in the middle of someone's lab.

The first thing that came to mind was that he was still in Cahaya's room in the future, only upgraded and maybe even expanded to accommodate all of this complicated machinery.

If the heap of used coffee pugs piled in the corner wasn't telltale enough, the man opening the door certainly was, the hinges creaking and coming to a startling stop as the pair stared each other down.

They remained in silence for a while, taking the time to study the other's appearances. Cahaya, now an adult, was dressed in a gray turtleneck sweater, white pants and socks was holding yet another cup of coffee, had his expression fixed between a mixture of confusion and curiosity.

His hair was a total mess, bangs sticking out in wild directions. The sight was almost comforting, knowing that no matter how long time has passed, Cahaya's habits will remain the dead same.

"Let me guess," Adult Cahaya groaned, taking a swig of his coffee. "Time travel?"

Tanah shrugged. "Maybe?"

The sigh that left Cahaya's mouth was so heavy that it could rival the weight of Tanah's combined existential crises.

"What year?"

"2022."

"Oh." Cahaya took another sip of his coffee, gesturing Tanah to follow him outside the lab. "My very first time dabbling in string theory and wormholes. How nostalgic."

He led Tanah down the hall, tapping away at a holographic screen projected from his watch while still holding the mug. The liquid was dangerously close to spilling, but he paid no mind to it.

The first thing Tanah noticed about the house was that it had been expanded – the halls were wider than he remembered, making space for shelves and computers embedded into the wall.

However, the most jarring thing about the entire ordeal, was that how the doors that led to the others' rooms were all removed. Where Api's door used to be was now a white metal closet, and Daun's room was used for more machinery and chemicals, the door completely removed.

Tanah must not have hidden his surprise well if Cahaya, who hadn't even turned around, commented on it.

"Don't act so surprised," he said, tapping away. "It's been 400 years since your time. We all grew up and found our own paths."

Tanah almost choked. "400 years?" he demanded. "And we're still alive?"

Cahaya shrugged. "Something we figured out when we enrolled in college." He downed his coffee in one go. "We just learned to accept it and move on."

"Where is everyone else, then?" Tanah asked. The house was quiet, eerily so. So unless the walls were incredibly sound proof, he didn't hear anyone else. "Does anyone still live here?"

They reached the place where the living room used to be. It still was, just renovated with a large rectangular desk at the center with fridges and cushioned chairs. It reminded Tanah of a futuristic meeting room he saw in the movies.