6, angst | in hindsight

Summary: Don't you hate it when some random guy from the future spoils your entire death for you? 

Cahaya wished he had some sort of explanation for this.

Behind him, screams erupted from the living room, followed by the sound of a glass vase shattering on the ground, and the profuse apology from an unfamiliar-familiar voice.

He buried his face into his hands, slouched over in his chair.

"So that's where that vase went," Adult Daun realized.

He had no explanation for this.

For the first time, it wasn't anyone's fault.

It wasn't Cahaya messing up a singular digit in a 100-line code that would alter the course of reality itself, because he was in the kitchen savoring his daily cup of coffee.

It wasn't Daun himself knocking over some ancient artifact that Petir, Tanah and Angin collected over their younger years that would turn their intestines inside out, because he was in Angin's room playing video games with Angin and Api.

It wasn't Angin or Api pissing off some random villain on the streets who decided that they and their loved ones needed to die, because they were with Daun bashing fictional video game characters on a screen somewhere in the house.

So when Duri—who was apparently the adult version of Daun—showed up in their living room, appearing from a hole in the sky and collapsing onto Tanah and Petir, everyone was truly taken aback.

As a matter of fact, the shock was so great that Cahaya would've rather reopened another black hole in his bedroom instead. Gone was the Api they hated and loved, and in his place was some random guy who claimed to be 7 years in the future.

They caused such a commotion that Air willingly stepped foot outside his room, and joined the general public out of his own volition to witness the sheer chaos that was taking place in their already unstable household.

Nobody spoke a word after Duri introduced himself, making himself right at home on their main couch. The six—minus Daun—surrounded him, all watching the man with varying levels of skepticism; some less than others.

Finally, Api took a deep breath, pressing his palms together to gather the courage to break the ice. "Who's your favorite character in Genshin?" he asked.

Everyone stared at him with thinly veiled frustration.

Duri clicked his tongue, eyes rolling in thought.

"It's been years since I played," he admitted. "But I think it's Yaoyao?"

Angin blinked. "Has she been released yet?"

Duri grimaced. "No. Her model's been repurposed for a generic NPC in Liyue."

Api fell to his knees in despair. Angin patted his shoulder in attempt of comfort.

Wisely, Petir ignored the clowns. "What are you doing here, in our time period?" he demanded, arms crossed in disbelief. "Where's the Daun we know?"

Duri waved his hand dismissively. The dumb, happy-go-lucky smile was still a major part of his character, but anyone could tell that it'd matured over time, hiding a hint of wariness beyond the bubbliness.

"He's fine; don't get your panties in a twist. I remember this happening the first time around." He shrugged. "It was quite a fright, too."

"You didn't answer the first question," Angin noticed. "Is it the classical 'can't spoil the future or you'd change it' type of scenario?"