𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞

wish i knew how to use a compass

The portal behind us shimmers into oblivion, and we all look around, hesitant to dive straight into another puzzle. Amari reaches for the brass doorknob, takes a deep breath, and twists the handle. 

I peek around the door as it opens, squinting in the dim lighting. Another hallway greets my view, to my dismay; three backpacks line the left side of the corridor. Neva glances back at me for a split second before entering the labyrinth and picking up a backpack. 

She takes out a flashlight (it clicks on without a problem, but the voice inside my head whispers about batteries), a compass that whirs around and around, a hydro flask of water, and some packs of jerky. 

Simon makes a face when Neva pulls out the jerky, but as I look around the room, everyone seems somewhat prepared. Funny how an hour of emotional turmoil can make people numb.

"Um... not to be that person," Lotus pips up, "but how long d'you guys think this maze is going to take..? Because we haven't had any water for probably a couple hours at this point and these hydro flasks won't last forever."

Ugh, stop with the good points, you keep reminding me of our impending doom. "That is a good point," I reply very helpfully.

The Mad Hatter interrupts our discussion for something she deems more important. "To find out your way out, the center of the labyrinth is to the north." And with that, there's silence again.

Carmen, Neva, and Lotus shoulder the heavy bags, following Amari down the hall, with the rest of us trailing behind them. She walks in front, shining her flashlight into every corner of the hallway.

It doesn't take long before we come to a crossroads, the corridor branching off into a fork in the road. 

"Does... anyone know how to use a compass?" Neva asks as she pulls one out from her backpack.

Tyler steps forward. "Sure." He reaches out her hand and takes the compass from Neva. They tap the glass impressively, trying to get the needle in the middle to stop spinning. The needle swivels back and forth, slowing down. Eventually, it says we're pointing south, or so I think.