𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐢𝐱

this is easyyyy- or not

Carmen leads us past the first three rows with no problem. We have a close call when Amari places their foot over the brick she's supposed to be standing on and it gives way, nearly tripping them.

She manages to right herself, with Carmen's help, of course.

I stay behind to make sure everyone gets across safely, but Simon hangs back, too.

"What's up?" I ask quietly, so as to not disturb the others' focus.

"Oh, you go ahead," she replies airily, waving his hand towards everyone else.

I frown as the rest of the group progresses further and further towards the center. "No, seriously, what's wrong, Simon?"

Simon chuckles nervously, her eyes flitting from the group to the bricks and back again. "I'm not that much of a fan of heights," he says quickly, not meeting my eyes.

"Oh," I say in relief, "that's okay. Look, I'll go with you."

I offer my hand, and Simon stares at it before accepting it gratefully.

Together, we follow Tyler at the back of the group to the middle of the large chamber. I take my time and make sure Simon's right behind me, while I check the bricks I step on with the pattern on the ceiling, just in case. At one point, she tightens his grip, and I slow down long enough for her to catch up to me.

We reach the center, joining the others. Neva shoots Simon a supportive smile as we wait for further instructions from Carmen.

"Alright, well, that wasn't so bad," Carmen says, slightly out of breath. "We should be able to get out of here — the room, at least — with no problems after this. Hopefully," he adds in a brief undertone.

I nod. "Great. Let's get going, shall we? I don't know about you guys, but I've had just enough of murder mazes for one day."

Lotus murmurs his agreement. Carmens takes a deep breath and looks up at the ceiling again, past the skylight this time, for directions.