Chapter 17: "Don't become a Chaser."

Day 178

When Allison and Joyce had these arguments that turned intense, depending on who was in charge that week, Winston or Whitney would advise reuniting the two to settle their indifferences. 

But according to Joyce, that never happened.

It was the same whenever someone from the camp threatened to leave: rumors of bribing or better treatment ensued, enticing favoritism. It worked if you lacked morale—desperation creates reckless decision-making. And if you lacked the knowledge to read between the lines, people like Winston could easily dupe you for his monetary system: basically, business. 

Except right now, Winston could come to my cabin and tell me that I could stay in all day, do whatever I wanted, with all the unlimited food and drink at my disposal, and it wouldn't be enough. 

I knew things wouldn't change with Allison. Being here has affected me in ways and turned me into the polar opposite of what I was in college: someone uncaring, cold, and tepid. 

If this is what real life means, bring me back to that blissful ignorance. Anything to avoid becoming the person I was already scared of. 

***

Considering the rapidness of the rumors, it seemed bizarre that no one said anything about Theodore's whereabouts. It once happened with Billy when he almost poisoned the water cistern. Billy was wise to keep his mouth shut—but that secret ceased faster after one person had found out. Every time I asked about Theodore, I was met with silence or dismiss—sometimes, both. Paul and Joyce were the only ones trustworthy, and even they acted like the guy never existed.

It was hard to believe that Theodore had truthfully left the Chasers, considering the twins' dedication to protecting the secrecy of its nature. Days went on with an indifference that left me with an odd feeling. Hubert had gone as well, a noticeable switch of pace from his explosive temper, and no one said a word about him either. 

***

A glimmer emerged from the shadows like a firefly, fading away and leaving a trail of smoke from Billy's mouth. I'd had many restless nights staring at the ceiling, imagining what would have happened if a tattled on Allison. And the twins had done nothing—to the surprise of nobody.

I needed to talk to someone, not because I was bored, but because I wanted common ground. Everyone here seemed fidgety and shady. It pained me to be always in a constant state of questioning. Someone could have said that that's what drew me in towards Billy sitting atop a boulder near the flagpole and the welcoming sign of the camp that seemed ironic with each passing day.

Isolation drew Billy into the shadows, his gaze to a canopy of trees, a vast world dying for someone to explore its topography. Gravel crunched beneath the soles of my boots, enough to startle Billy into staring at me sideways. He knew it was me; the moonlight heaved its light on us like something holy. Neither said a word. Billy then went back to sucking on his hand-rolled tobacco.

"They're gone," Billy said, then blew more smoke as though he read my mind. Too predictable? Maybe. Working with the twins for an extended time does make the most unaware rookie into a seasoned eye-to-detail maniac. Body language was an encrypted writing everyone here had mastered.

I took another set of steps, making sure Billy listened to what I had to say. "What did they do?" Billy ignored my question with another puff—he wasn't even savoring the poison. He dragged and blew in one second. "Billy? What did they do?"

Billy took what seemed like the fifth drag until he finally tossed the cigar towards the dirt road. "You don't oppose the twins. You don't."

There was an unsettling switch as the air turned colder. Billy hadn't looked my way yet, but my eyes stayed glued on a chance to say what was on my chest while I still could.

"Hubert never left the camp, did he?" I uttered.

Nocturnal sounds drought in the tension. Billy finally turned his head towards me.

"We were four in total, Theodore, Johnathan, and Diego. I was the criminal mind—those three were my right hand. Drug wars back in South America had been our day-to-day until the heat became too much, and we fled our war town." Billy laughed softly, humorless and almost bitter. "And to think we survived bullet rains and explosive door traps, only for some maniacal psychopath and her sister to gun down one of my best men." My breath increased as a memory from a few weeks flashed: Winston leaving the camp with a brigade, all carrying hunting rifles. I should have known what happened when the group returned to camp six hours later without a trophy by their shoulders. And Billy was with Winston as well. "You've got a strong heart, Sommers. Everyone talks well—Joyce, Paul." He stumbled, looking directly at me. "Even Allison thinks you are too good for a place like this." Billy got to his feet and into the dirt, stepping on the still-lit cigar and gazing upward at the nocturnal freckles. "Night watch ends precisely one hour before midnight. Not a single eye will be within a mile from these grounds."

I should have guessed. Everyone knew I spoke to Whitney about my urge to leave this place. And Billy's reply was here: run before you meet Diego and Hubert's fate.

Allison could have been at the top of the reasons for leaving this faulty system of a campsite, but I had my suspicions way before. Antagonists like Whitney and Winston knew how to operate the system and give credit where it dues. But keeping people hostage isn't the way. And if that is the case, then escaping, as Billy seemed to suggest, was the only way.

I shot a worried look at Billy, who was still facing back. "What about you?"

"I have a debt with these people. I'm not leaving without getting what's mine."

"Billy—I can't. I mean, where would I go?" There it was, the Alexander Sommers I knew before coming here. No matter how tough I acted, the unknown—the fear—and the uncertainty was there. But it was that fear that would push me towards greatness.

"You're smart, Alexander. You're the only one with a purpose, don't make the same mistake as us. Don't become a Chaser. You've seen what these people are capable of. Leave while you still can." Billy turned his body around without a word and walked next to me. "By six in the morning, a hunting party will begin. You don't want to be around when that happens."

His footsteps crunched as they began to fade into the camp. Nothing could stop me if I decided to make a run for it—after all, what was holding me back? I had nothing back when I lost Delilah—what makes his place the same?

"Tell Joyce and Paul goodbye for me," I quickly said, as the steps ceased into silence.

It was one of these choices where I had to use my heart, rather than my intuition—the thing that helped me throughout these months.

"I will," Billy said.

***

I took one final glance at the lump beneath the sheets resembling what was supposed to me by the figure, still sleeping, as I already turned in the lock. My backpack had only the essentials, as though I was going on a scouting mission, except with more canned food and the water-purifying kit essentials.

Part of me wondered why I hadn't done or even thought of this sooner. If you don't like the place you are in, change it.

Then Paul and Joyce came into mind. It was hard to leave without even stopping by and saying goodbye, but I knew I couldn't take any chances like this. The area was desolate, a greenlight of a chance to make a run for it.

And I knew just the place to go.

With only ten minutes before midnight, I closed the door to the cabin, determined to leave behind any baggage and wander into the unknown.