Chapter 25: Awake at Last

(Harmonyx's) POV:

~Day 192~

It's been almost a month since Xion and my sister fell into their deep sleep. During that time, whenever I would come back from a mission, I'd place a seashell next to their bedside. I've even been reading one of Xamira's books, hoping it would help. It's called "Avalon Web of Magic - Circle of Magic". I haven't read a lot, but it seems to be really interesting.

"The sun dropped low behind the trees, its golden rays cutting across the glade, but Emily hardly noticed, too busy holding and soothing the sick and wounded animals while Phel healed them. Adrianne and Storm moved among the--" I read out loud, until I get interrupted.

"Knock, knock," I hear someone say.

I look up from the book to see that it was Axel. "Hi," I say, smiling up at him. I place my bookmark in the page, so that I don't lose my spot, then place the book down next to Xamira's bedside. "Aren't you going to bed?"

"That's my line," Axel says, then comes over to sit next to me.

"I'm glad it's you who came instead of Saix," I say.

"Oh, why's that?"

"Yesterday, during one of my visits to Xamira and Xion, Saix came and said "Your visits are a waste of time!" His attitude makes me so mad, especially when he's mean to Xion and my sister."

"Well, we can't stop Saix from being a jerk."

"Even so, he keeps calling Xamira and Xion defects, saying that they're broken. He treats them like they're objects or something! I know we don't have any hearts, but I really can't stand him. Xamira and Xion aren't objects!"

I'm not sure if it was for my sake, but since Axel could probably tell how much this was getting to me, he thankfully changed the subject. "That book you were reading, is it any good?"

I nod my head. "Yes. After going on a mission with Largo once, Xamira got it at a bookstore in Twilight Town. He bought it for her, thinking that she could use a change of pace from reading Science and Dictionary books all the time; read something a little fictional."

"He does seem to have a soft spot for kids, I've noticed. But he wasn't wrong. All those books Xamira got used to be Zexion's, and he didn't have anything that was related to fiction," he says.

"Seems like it's part of a series, though. The spine has the number one on it."

"How far have you gotten?"

"About halfway."

"Halfway, huh? Sounds like you're really into it."

I put some thought into his words. "...I suppose so. Right after we finish eating ice cream, I always come straight here to read a bit of it before bed. It's really interesting: there's talking animals, magic, and is even related to a different world...There's just so much that makes me drawn to it."

"Thinking of reading the next volume once you're done with this one?"

I nod my head. "I was thinking about that. But I'm planning to wait till Xamira wakes up before then. She loves to read books, but she never mentioned getting started on reading this one or even finishing it. It wouldn't be fair to her otherwise. What kind of books did you use to read, Axel?"

"Me? Not a whole lot. I was never the book reading type of guy. I was more the kind of guy that liked to goof off and hang out with my friends."

"Huh. I can't tell if you've changed or not since then."