Black And White

Centuries ago, there sat a raven on top of a statue in a beautiful garden. The creature, smarter than most, watched as a man walked through her garden this winter's day. Cloaked in black, much like herself, they both stood out against the white scenery that surrounded them. Instantly taken, she stared at him as he stared back at her as if they somehow understood one another. Spreading her wings, he came to a stop as she flew to him, landing on his now outstretched arm. A connection was instantly made; a connection that ran so deeply, that it was otherworldly. He spoke her name - Lenore.

From that moment on, she was his just as much as he was hers. She traveled with him, she understood him, and he understood her. She was his eyes when he couldn't see, and he was her wings when she couldn't fly. It was a bond like nothing else that had ever been created before. She never served him, she was never held captive by him, she was never caged. There was a mutual understanding, respect, and love for one another that they both held dear.

As the years went by, she watched as his spirit went through times of hardships, times of sadness, and times of unspeakable loneliness. She was his only companion in the darkest moments, the only spirit he would allow to see him in such a way. She loved him, she wanted to be there for him. While she never served him, she allowed him to be her master just as he allowed her to be his consort. Her compassion was unlike anything else he had experienced in his very, very, long existence. There was no other choice for either of them... she had to become human. The bond, the connection, it was so much more than just a king and his companion - their souls were connected. As if they had loved in a past life, their souls knew one another. So, by his rule and the grace of others, it was done. She was overjoyed the moment her voice left her lips, the moment she could run into his arms and feel his embrace. They were madly in love, and it didn't take long for them to find a life together as man and woman. She was pleased to give up her wings to spend eternity by his side.

Time continued to pass, and the years were spent in bliss. Their love was so pure that it rocked all the realms... ultimately creating enemies. His siblings, while many of them were understanding, a few left their humanity behind centuries ago. Seeing him thriving created a fit of toxic jealousy and some sought his demise. Knowing Lenore was his weakest spot, being the most precious thing in his life, that's where they hit. And hit. And hit. And hit again. It all came down to one fateful night when Lenore was cast out of their realm, her husband drained of his essence to the point of near death, and her memory wiped clean as she was forced to live among the mortals of the waking world.

She woke up in a hospital room, bruised, battered, confused, and scared. She couldn't remember anything of herself, her life, or her past. The only thing she could remember was her name.

When she finally left the hospital, all she had was a small bag of her belongings. The clothes and shoes she had on when she was found unconscious, a golden necklace with a pendant containing a white stone, and a very ornate ring with an engraving inside the band. "Forever." With no idea what to do, she approached the world with fear in her heart and longed for something she isn't sure existed in the first place.