finding each other in every universe

"open it."

you pull at the lid of the jewellery box. a necklace is nestled in the centre, a silver ringed planet pendant hanging from it. it's embedded with tiny diamond crystals, sparkling in the sunlight.

you gasp softly. "finney, it's beautiful."

"and even better," he says, pulling out a chain beneath his shirt. he had a silver spaceship pendant to match, minus the jewels.

"it's like, you're the planet, right," he says, fiddling with the charm, "and i'm the spacecraft, searching for you. and we always find each other."

he pulls your necklace from the box carefully and brushes your hair away from your neck. clumsy fingers clip on your necklace, fingertips brushing the back of your neck. his movements are careful, slow, purposeful.

"there." he extends his necklace, holding out his charm and you hold out yours to meet his.

he looks down at you, soft brown eyes crinkling as he smiles fondly.

"i hope in every other universe out there, i get to be with you," he says, voice soft.

you wrap your arms around him, up on your tippy toes to bury your face in his curls. his heart beats against your chest, as you grow slack against him.

he will always be the solid space you lean on when your world plummets in darkness.

you mumble next to his ear.

"me too."

in that moment, you were certain.

he would find you in any lifetime, anywhere.

a little rocket, drawn to the gravity of a planet.

the gravity of you.