Untitled Part 6

Martins POV

The next morning, I joined Mike in the shop for the rebuild. He already had the fuel drained, hood off, and the carbs off.

"Well you've been busy," I said groggily.

"So have you," he said smirking. Mike has always had a good sense of humor, thats one of the reasons we get along so well.

"Yeah, it was fun. You should get someone and try it sometime," I said as I elbowed him in the ribs.

"Not cool man."

"Whatever. Lets just get this damn thing apart."

In a few hours, we had the engine out and apart. Mike ordered some block seals to go with the pistons, and we planned on lighter connecting rods in the future. The lighter pistons went on with no problem, and the reeds slid right in. The hardest part was putting the pistons in the cylinder straight. The heads were bolted back on and the engine was done. We decided to put that back in before messing with the track, so we did.

For the track, the whole rear end of the sled needs taken apart. The suspension came out and we adjusted the shock absorber according to my liking. The Camoplast slipped over the suspension and drive cogs easily and we bolted the whole thing in. We tightened up the track and it was good to go.

By this time, it is 6:00 and the only thing I had to eat all day was a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I got some dinner and took the freshly rebuilt machine for a break-in/test ride.

"What a difference!" I exclaimed as soon as I pulled in.

"Am I the mest mechanic or what?" Mike jokingly remarked.

"Hey, I helped! But you are the best pit boss," I said smiling.

"Well I am the only pit boss so whatever," He said rolling his eyes.

"Are you two bickering again?" Natta asked joining us.

"No," I answered at the same time Mike said "Yes."

Natta laughed and pulled us into the camper to review the highlights of my race. Something about improvement. The mods we did to the sled are more than enough to make up for my rookieness. As my first cross country race, I think I did good. The Ski Doo driver knew how to handle the lake better than me, so we watched that section of the video first.

I didn't really pay attention to the video. I just admired the way Natta's hair was perfectly tucked behind the ear closest to me. Damn she was pretty. Just gorgeous, with half her face in the shadow of the TV. She looked so pale behind her light freckles. I leaned over and placed a light kiss on her cheek. She smiled and turned to me, where I kissed her fully. I forgot Mike was in the room until he cleared his throat. I pulled away reluctantly, but not before whispering "later."

She gave a small smile and looked back at the TV. I just sat there and stared off into space while remembering last night. The way she gasped under me. The way she kissed me with such intensity. The way she told me how much she loved me. Even the way the light hit her face. She is beautiful.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-yay! so i think my writing is getting better. feel free to comment and tell me how I'm doing. i feel like the past few chapters have been really short, so im trying to make them longer.

-coop