Chapter 21

Alpha Davra's territory is four hours to the southwest, nestled against the ocean. Alexei and I decide to run it alone with no guards or advisors, and both shifted after mild convincing. The land is more forgiving than the trek between our two territories, often flat and free of snow, yet home to small groups of rogue shifters. Tabitha said most rogue wolves are harmless; they have families and resources, and they keep to themselves. However, those leftover steal when the land is no longer fruitful, and this winter hasn't been any warmer than the last. There's no use coming further North — those without provisions must move South with the animals, and city folk tend to disfavor those who act more animal than human.

I am a pinch disappointed when we arrive at the territory without catching a scent. I've never met a rogue shifter, and with Alexei's protection, I could have risked an encounter.

Davra's keep sits on a bed of prairie grass, perched on a hill behind its city which spreads along the beach, caressing the water with seawalls. My father and he weren't particularly close, but I have done nothing to sour my reputation in Davra's eyes, that is, besides being an eighteen-year-old Alpha female claiming the largest portion of land in the last hundred years.

Our presence is expected at the gate, and we part ways to shift and dress. The stalls off the courtyard are empty, so I shift and dig my clothes out of my wolf's sidesack: leather pants, thick boots, and a worker's shirt. A housekeeper retrieved these things with all possible haste as I hurried to leave the keep with Alexei, but I don't mind them. Similar pants hung at the front of my wardrobe until formal meetings with Alexei called for gowns.

I enter Alpha Davra's keep through the stalls — Alexei waits on the other side with a representative from Davra's leadership, and I join them, standing at the beginning of a stair-riddled corridor. Alexei looks me over then takes my bag.

"Welcome, Alpha Pryor," the representative says. "I will take you to your apartment now. There you both can prepare for your meeting with the Alpha."

"The Alpha and the Luna, correct?" I ask.

"Excuse me. Yes, the Alpha and Luna."

We follow the gentleman up a staircase and into spaces and halls with many sunny, southern windows. The glass doors leading to a large terrace are closed, but I've seen many paintings where they are open — where summer air blows linen curtains. I'm desperate to feel such a warm breeze on my skin.

Alexei walks behind me, carrying our things. "Your dress," he reminds.

"Oh." I ask our escort, "Is it possible to send for a dress? I'll need it for the meeting, and I have my measurements and the such written down."

"Yes, that can be done. Do you have any further specifications?"

I take the folded slip of parchment from my pant pocket and catch up to him in front of me. "All specifications are here." I hand him the parchment and add quietly, "The specifications are strict."

He nods and slips it into his waistcoat. "It will take the hour."

"That's alright, as long as it's here before our meeting starts." I take my small pouch of gold coins and hand it over as well. "Something nice."

"Of course, Alpha."

Our guide turns down a smaller corridor, and toward the end is our apartment. He opens the door for us but remains in the hall. "An hour and you will be brought to your meeting, and the dress will be delivered as soon as possible. I will leave you if there is nothing else."

Alexei says, "There is nothing else."

The man bows slightly then leaves with my instructions and gold. Alexei waits for me to enter the apartment first, so I do so, coming into a living space with minimal furnishing — all fashionable. The curtains are drawn open for maximum sunlight, and it smells faintly perfumed. There are open bedchamber doors to the left, and Alexei walks right through.