Chapter 42

I push the window pane open and gather the cloak around me to fit it through. The heavy fabric flaps in the wind and pulls on my shoulders, desiring the faraway ground, but I heave the excess through the glass while trying to cover my nudity. I couldn't take both the spear and my clothes back with me.

Senet is standing on the other side of the window, and he offers his hand to help me through. "Did you find him?" He asks.

I stumble but avoid tripping to the floor. "Yes. He was at Davra's keep alone."

"And he's dead?"

"No." I straighten and reveal Gaius' weapon from my inner cloak. Senet's eyes glimmer with the crystal's celestial reflection. "I'm keeping him alive."

Senet takes the spear. "Why?"

"He pledged his loyalty, so if he keeps it, I won't kill him. He agreed to do what I say; he knows what's happening to Alexei. I think he's realized he can either be our ally or our enemy, and he very much wants to stay alive."

"Well, we'll have to see how he acts, won't we?" Senet takes the spear back to his chair beside the bed. Alexei hasn't moved.

"Are you disappointed in me?"

"Because you spared him? No. If he can be useful, let him be. Now, what's happened to your skin?"

I walk to my dressing table and duck into the mirror. My face and neck are red and irritated, but surely much better than they were when I left Davra's territory. "He splashed me with moon water."

"Ah, well, you'll heal."

"What about that?" I gesture to the weapon. "He grabbed it to defend himself. It's made—"

"Of the Goddess' steps, yes. I suppose Gaius got creative with his defenses not knowing what could kill you. He knows this isn't the Goddess' material, but a divine substance is a divine substance."

I leave the dressing table and amble to Alexei. "I suppose you have your own sample to study now — keep it. I have no use for it."

Senet looks at me. "I will take my leave then."

"Actually, might you stay for a little while longer? I should collect more blood for when he wakes."

"There is plenty; three times the amount you drank upon waking."

"I know," I say and brush Alexei's hand with my fingertips, "but he might need more. He's bigger than me, and he'll be hungrier."

"Women make the strongest men, hm?"

I glance at Senet.

"Rest with him," he advises. "Let yourself heal. I'll return in some hours for you to hunt."

I don't move as Senet leaves the bedchamber and the apartment beyond, but when I hear the door shut behind him, all my taught muscles release. I squeeze Alexei's hand and let my eyes roam from his knees under the blankets to his chest and then his face. He is impervious to the temperature of the room, yet I lay blankets over him anyway.

I huff and place his hand where it was alongside him.

I unwrap the cloak around me and take a clean shift from the trunk. I pull the shift over my head and lower onto the mattress; the covers wrinkle under me as I crawl to Alexei. I lift his arm and create a space for myself. If blood wouldn't stain the bedding, I would indulge in some tears, but I withhold my upset and rest my head against his chest.

My fear that he won't wake burns like a lighting taper in my gut, and smoke from the flame fills my lungs. I want to cough the fear out and trust in the God's words, but Alexei's changing is taking longer than mine, and every additional hour only makes the flame hotter. Our mate bond is mere strings holding us together; I can see fire slowly burning through each one when I close my eyes.