Chapter 81

Dysis couldn't go back. She just couldn't.

She couldn't face the silent bar. Couldn't face seeing the place where so many people had died, where the floor had been covered in blood. Where she had made the biggest mistake of her life.

And she couldn't face the apartment. The apartment where she had been beaten and taunted and so, so afraid that she could still feel it creeping up her spine.

She couldn't face the headstones, and the date of death that she still had to carve into each and every one of them.

She couldn't face the apartments that she had to go through and had to clear out. Palmer and Frank. She had a key to each one. She knew it was her job to go through their things, to get rid of the things she had no use for. She couldn't face that. Couldn't handle it.

She couldn't face any of the bar members that hadn't been there at the time. Couldn't face telling them what had happened—or lie about what had happened. She couldn't face telling them that the graveyard out back was now almost full.

She just couldn't do it.

Couldn't do any of it.

So Dysis found herself walking away from the train at a quick pace, the trunk squealing behind her.

The carriages were already gone, so she'd have to make the trek all the way back up to the school, which was on the other side of the Black Lake. She didn't mind, though.

It would give her time to think. To clear her head before she faced the mostly deserted school. She didn't even know who was staying. Who she'd have to face.

It would be quiet and she'd have no one to talk to, but maybe that was a good thing. Maybe she needed some time to herself.

Or maybe it would drive her insane. Maybe she'd be forced to think about all the things she'd been struggling to accept these past few days and maybe that would drive her over the edge. Maybe she'd revert to what she had been before the Turn—a sad, lonely girl who only spoke a few words every day. Her voice had only recovered because of the Turn, had only become strong again because of the healing.

Dysis shuddered to herself and quickened her step. She wouldn't let that happen. She'd find someone to talk to—even if it was a portrait or a ghost. It was sad, but she'd be fine.

She'd be fine.

A chill crept up Dysis's spine and she took deep breaths, scanning the trees around her. Maybe she should have gone. Maybe she should have just gotten it over and done with. That was part of accepting it, wasn't it? Going through Palmer's things, accepting that he was.....gone.

But it was too late. She could hear the train whistle blowing, could hear the groaning of the wheels as they lurched into motion.

The train was gone, and Dysis was stuck at Hogwarts now.

No, she wasn't stuck—she had made the decision to stay. She wanted to stay. She just....she should have mustered up the courage to go.

Dysis listened to the sound of the train pulling away with a heavy heart before she slowly brought her hearing back to around her.

She was stopped, however, as she heard loud footsteps and wheels crunching on the gravel behind her.

Dysis's stomach tightened and she let the wolf rise a little bit, ready to snap claws out as she turned around, scanning the road.

It was empty up to the bend, but the footsteps were getting louder, getting closer, getting—

A figure stumbled into view, hauling a large trunk behind them. They were wearing baggy jeans, a red sweater and their dark hair was tied back, just like it had been when Dysis had said goodbye to him on the platform.