Chapter 20:: Better

Author's POV: 

"Jeon Jungkook... you messed up your grades." Ms Armas spoke and handed Jungkook his papers as he came to his seat, gulping.
"How much did you get?" Taehyung asked, raising a brow. Jungkook opened his copy and sighed. A 59 out of 120. Oh my god.
"We all got 59 then." You sighed. 
"It's okay... should we add an extra 1 before the numbers?" Mina asked.
"Then it'll become 159..." Jungkook spoke, groaning. You all sat there hopelessly. You got your copy and saw your marks. 65 out of 120. 
"Oh, still better than me." Jungkook sighed. 

"Mom will be sad." You thinned your lips. 
Taehyung got 62 and Mina got 58. You all were doomed.

—Lunchtime 

"I can't believe we did so badly on the exam." Mina groaned. You sighed and replied, "I wonder what went wrong... We're usually the toppers."
"The question pattern was changed. We also had a hard time giving the exams, right? And... we also spent lots of time relaxing. I'm surprised about Y/N's grades though."
"Mine's... rather complicated. I studied too much that day and I was tired and almost forgot everything in the exam hall. Transfer student cons." You sighed.

Taehyung stroked your back and smiled, "It's fine." 
"Yours too, then." You smiled a little at him. Mina was chewing her chips sadly and Jungkook frowned saying, "I think almost everyone did badly."
"True... but what are we supposed to do now? We have to make sure to get the best marks in the final exam for this semester. Or we're good as dead." Mina said. Taehyung hummed and said, "How about we all prepare for the next exam? Instead of spending time out in cafes and arcades, we can use it to study."
"We study a lot." Jungkook frowned.
"Compared to high schoolers of Seoul, you don't." You said, looking away.

Everyone sighed together. 
"At least we're doomed together."
"Truly." 

You all continued eating, wondering what to do to make this situation better.

—At home

"Oh... that's a bad grade. But it's okay, you should try harder for the next exam." Your mom said, hiding the disappointment in her voice and smiling. You nodded and looked at Isa who was grinning.
"What's with that happy grin?" You frowned at her as she said, "Nothing much, I'm just thrilled to find a landowner to let me rent for the salon. The price is reasonable. And I've been helping out in the computer service store so I earned quite some money for the rent as well. The investing is going well. Maybe, I'll open a salon in a few months."
"That's great! Are your friends helping you?"
"Yeah, Mia is really good at haircuts... Jessi is the best at makeup. Maybe we all can make something out of nothing." The excitement in Isa's eyes made you smile. You passed her a thumbs up and said, "You'll do great!"

Suddenly, you all heard some noise coming from Mary and Ben's room. You frowned and looked in the direction of their room as your mom sighed, "They've been bickering so much lately. But then the noises that come out of their room at night... god..." 
"I'm out." You said, frowning. You rushed into your room leaving your sighing mother and laughing for her life Isabel.

—Time skip

You texted in the group chat about the study materials. All of you did badly so the next plan was to do good. You invited them to your house for the next day and soon started studying yourself. 
You tried to pay better attention to your studies. As disappointing as it was to get bad grades, you needed to do better. Sometimes bad situations happened. 

Though it sometimes felt like there wouldn't be any need for a next time because you had f*cked up enough. You hated disappointing your mother. She had done enough for you. You hated disappointing yourself. You had practised and given your best in your studies yet the results came out pretty unexpected and bad. It made you feel sad and demotivated. You cried while showering because it was disappointing. But you had to do good. Because everything happened for the better cause.