Man in the window

I rode into town on Tulsa beside Joe. Pa sent us to go get some books from the store for schooling. I was told that someone is after me for causing the death of Lucky the Kid. My arm had healed nicely, and I was explained of my whole adoption and my biological parents. My father committed suicide before I was born, and none of the Cartwrights knew my mom, except for Joe, but he never even met her. I was found on the doorsteps of the Cartwright house, which a note saying who my family was. I was happy, now that I knew my real past. I dismounted, checking my surroundings. This was normal for me now. Always walking around with my hand resting on the grip of my pistol, sticking close to the person I was with like glue, that was normal now. I quickly settled myself beside Joe as we walked into the store. It was small enough so I could walk around without having to stick close to Joe. I looked at the books. Pa said anything I want, that would be educational, of course. I found a nice history book and paged through it. I nodded with satisfaction as I put the book on the counter.

"Hmm, looks like a good one." Joe looked away from the girl he was flirting with for a second to look at the book. I rolled my eyes at the sight. Eh. I looked at all the candy assortments. My mouth watered, seeing the chocolate sweets. I heard the door open, but was relieved to see it was only Joe's lady friend leaving.

"I won't tell pa if you don't tell pa." Joe said, reaching his hand into the jar and pulling a few out.

"Deal." I nodded with a smile. Joe paid for the stuff and we walked out of the store. I looked around again as Joe put the stuff into his saddle bag, then mounted. I quickly followed, swinging myself onto Tulsa's back. With a little over a month of training, Tulsa was one of the most trained horses around. I had recently been working on our bareback riding, which come to find out, I'm not so great at like I used to be when I was little and riding Cochise.

"I still wish she was mine now." Joe said as he watched Tulsa and I.

"You said she was mean and wild. Look at this! Does she look mean and wild?" I said, patting her neck.

"I still think you should breed her to Bolt." Joe said. Bolt was pa's prized black stallions.

"Well, if I had another horse, then yes. I would. But even if I did, not know. She doesn't have enough rides on her, I couldn't be sure if she would let me on her back so easily if I did breed her." I stated.

"Yea, but they would make a fine colt. Probably have his mama's coat or markings, and his dad's fine build." Joe said enthusiastically.

"Oh, I'm sure, but I'm just not ready to breed her." I said, trying to drop the subject.

"Oh alright." Joe chuckled. He reached into his saddle bag and pulled out two of the chocolates he bought. He tossed one to me, and I quickly unwrapped it and ate it.

"Delicious." I grinned, putting the wrapper into my pocket. Joe chuckled. Chocolate was definitely a delicacy. Even for us rich people.

We rode for a couple minutes till I sat high in the saddle, alerted by my surroundings.

"What's wrong?" Joe asked, now also tenced.

"I... I don't know. I just feel like I'm being watched. Like... I don't understand." I said, looking around. Joe also looked around.

"Yea, now that you mention it, I feel it too." Joe nodded.

"I don't like this. I want to go home." I said.

"I agree." Joe said as he nudged Cochise into a canter. I followed him, reining Tulsa right beside him.

~

We got to the ranch and dismounted at the hitching post. The horses both let out a heavy. I walked over and pumped some water into the trough and they quickly started drinking. I grabbed my book from Joe and we walked into the house.