Settling a Matter

I tried following Shasta's tracks as best as I could, but it was so confusing. There was at least four different tracks, swerving and crossing all over the place. I stopped Tulsa as her sides heaved. It was hot today. I wiped the back of my sleeve over my forehead, wiping the sweat away. I took a drink from my canteen, then nudged Tulsa forward. We rode for hours, following the hoof prints. I nudged my heels into Tulsa's side, trying to get her to canter. She tripped over her own feet with a limp and slowed to a trot. I stopped her and dismounted. Her back left pasturn was all swollen and didn't look well. I loosened the cinch on the saddle so she wouldn't have it tightly around her. I got my rifle out of the holster and held it in my left hand, leading Tulsa with the other. It was midday by now, and I was drenched in sweat. Tulsa let out a couch. I took my canteen and gave her the last of my water. I took an apple out of the saddle bags and gave it to her, and she took it greedily. I continued walking towards mountains on foot. We came across a small pond and I dropped Tulsa's reins to drink. I gathered water and strained it into my mouth through the bandana. Tulsa continued drinking.

"I can't make you go on any longer." I said as I took the saddle bags off the saddle and slinged them over my shoulder. I gave her a pat on the neck as I turned my back to her and kept walking. I figured it was about going on 5 o'clock, because the sun was slowly starting to set. The tracks kept going into a small rivian. I gripped my rifle tighter, going into the rivian. The sound of horses neighing was heard, and my heart pounded faster. I round a small bend and there she stood. Shasta tossed her mane wildly, rearing up and pawing at the post she was tied to. I looked over at the people crowded around a small fire. A woman, who was dressed in all black. Black trousers and all. A older man, he looked to be in his late 60s. And a younger man. I cocked my rifle to let them know I was here.

"I knew you were coming." The younger man said as he stood up.

"You stole my horse." I scowled.

"You killed my brother." The man said back.

"I know who you are. I don't know how you do it, but every night, I see you. My brother Joe finally saw you last night. I'm here to settle this." I said, glaring at the man who turned to face me.

"You're pretty smart, y'know." He chuckled.

"But you're also pretty stupid. Stupid for coming here." He chuckled again. The woman stood up, reaching for her gun. I turned my rifle to her, and shot it out of her hand. I couldn't shoot well with a pistol, but I knew how to use a rifle.

"You killed my brother! You deserve losing you're horse!" He shouted.

"I want this to be fair. I take my filly, you leave me and the Cartwrights alone, and you and you're family get to live you're lives." I said, resting my finger on the trigger.

"You gonna shoot me in cold blood? And I'm even unarmed." The man laughed wildly.

"No. Give him a gun." I said to the woman. She handed him a gun belt, and he put it around his waist.

"You're fighting a loosing battle. When I kill you, I'm going to kill you're whole family. Then I'm going to slit that filly's golden throat with a knife." He hissed. My eyes wavered as I continued to stare at him. I put my rifle down as I put my hand beside my pistol.

"You're stupid. A young girl fighting a grown man." He scoffed.

"No, I'm not stupid. I'm just here to settle a matter. I didn't kill you're brother, the sheriff did, and he killed him because he wouldn't let me go." I said, glaring at the man. He cursed at me then spat on the ground. I narrowed my eyes at him, watching his every move. It quieted down as I glared at him. I reached for my gun quickly, drawing it and firing before aiming. He also drawed and fired his gun, but the bullet went into the ground beside me. The man clutched his stomach, falling to his knees.

"I didn't kill you're brother." I said, putting my pistol back. I looked over at the older man and woman.

"Don't follow me. Forget I exist. If you're any right minded folks, you know what really happened, and I had no choice." The woman slowly nodded, then I turned around. I picked up my rifle and untied Shasta from the post. I tied the rope so I made a makeshift hackamore.

"I'm sorry too." The woman spoke, slowly stepping forward.

"For what." I asked, watching her.

"I was the one who asked Luke to steal you're mare for me, because I fell in love with her. You had every right to do what you did." She spoke.

"I'm glad you feel that way." I said as I led Shasta over to a rock and climbed onto the rock. I slid onto her back, still gripping the rifle in hand, holding the rope in the other.

"Now, get off my land." I said before slowly nudging my heels into Shasta's side. She lit off at a lope as I gripped her mane and rope in my left hand, with my rifle in the other. We rode for a few minutes before we came up on Tulsa, who was heading home. She must have gotten a lot of rest, because her ankle wasn't swollen anymore. I put the rifle into the holster and took Tulsa's reins to lead her home. My mouth was bone dry again, but the wind felt good in my hair and clothes. I kept nudging Shasta until we cantered smoothly to home. I did what I had came to do, although I wasn't happy about shooting a man in cold blood. I grew tired, although Shasta must never grow tired. She kept up her canter for quite awhile before slowing to a trot. I slowed her to a walk. We were maybe an hours ride from the house. The sun was setting by now. It was almost behind the mountain peaks, casting a beautiful orange and pink glow to the east, mixed with blue. Shasta shook her head in delight. She could feel it too. She could feel the Ponderosa ground beneath her hooves, she could feel my excitement surging. She could feel me. I leaned down and patted her neck. I put Tulsa's reins over her saddle horn, making sure they would keep in place. She knew the way home. She would come home. I gathered Shasta's golden mane into my hands, giving slack on the rope. I pressed my heels into her sides, and she took off at a neck breaking sprint. Every stride carried her faster and faster. I wrapped my arms around her neck, closing my eyes as I hung on with pure delight. She let out a whinny as she galloped. It was like she was racing the wind itself. Everything was drowned out by the sound of her hoof beats beating against the ground. I sat up and opened my eyes again. I rested my hand on her neck, smiling to myself. I could see the house coming into view. I could only see the top of the roof. We were still a good mile out. I continued to let her gallop. The sun was almost behind the mountain, leaving a small pink glow in the sky. It was practically dark. The lights in the house were still on. I took a look behind me and saw Tulsa trailing behind us. I could see Joe at the paddock watching us ride in. I slowed Shasta down to a lope as we rode into the yard. Pa came out of the house at the sound of the hoofbeats.

"Maggie!" He said, running up to me. I wrapped my arms around his neck as he lifted me off the ground.

"You were gone for so long, I was starting worry a great deal." Pa said, putting me back down.

"I'm fine. Just thirsty." I said.

"Where did you find her?" Pa asked.

"There is something I should say. I didn't go just to find Shasta, I went to find Lucky's so called family." Pa's face paled.

"I found them and took care of the matter." I said calmly. Joe reached for my pistol, which I was too slow to stop him. He opened the cartridge.

"One bullet is gone." He said, looking at me.

"We settled it fair and squarely. His family will never bother us again. I'm fine." I said again.

"You are also in big, big trouble." Pa said sternly.

"I'm sorry." I said, putting my head now.

"No riding for a week. You will do both you're chores and... And I'm so glad you're safe." Pa muttered.

"I'm fine, trust me." I smiled. Joe looked pleased with the situation.

"Just, don't ever do that again? Alright?" Joe laughed.

"Not making any promises, but I'll try." I chuckled.