Chapter Seven

Vivian

The Captain of Soilles fleet vessel, a ship presently on fire, slipping under the blue abyss, glares up into my eyes with absolute loathing, bent on his knees. "I am an Admiral. You kill me, witch, and Vale will come for you. I promise you that."

"Is that so?" I tilt my head, reeling tears back into my skull so that none of my crew spot my emotions reach the surface. "Are you really that important?"

"I swear. The commander of Vale is on his way, probably not even hours behind you!"

Hours... I let that valuable piece of information sink in. "I see. It seems we have another battle ahead of us then."

"Are you daft? He'll be well armed! Even the infamous Orion wouldn't be able to withstand a siege from a Royal's ship."

My gaze darts above our heads, to the thick, hot smoke overtaking the skies. "Unless he has no idea we're here."

The Admirals face becomes a blue sort-of-color.

"Thank you for that priceless piece of information. It's a good thing you won't be making it off this ship. I bet the Commander would lock you up for revealing such precious intelligence to us."

"You are evil—"

"You killed two of my crew," I snarl, forcing myself not to look at Aggie, who I know is crying, still holding Lizzie's body. Cerian is lost to the ocean, having been on lookout when they shot him, alerting us of their arrival. "My family. You waged war upon us. I am within my right to exact justice."

"Then give me a trial."

"That isn't justice. Not on my ship." I look up, nodding once to Bastian, who is visibly shaken as he grabs the Admiral's tied hands, bringing him to his feet. It's been months since we lost a member of our crew, let alone two.

"What are you going to do? Throw me over?"

"Yes. The blood leaking out of your leg will alert the sea creatures to feast." I grin as he winces, paling even further. "Until then, you can watch your precious Vale sail right into an ambush."

He fights as my hands grab onto his clothing, walking him towards the plank. The blood he's losing drops onto the ground like rain. "I-I have use to you, Siren. Don't—Don't—"

"This is war, Admiral. If this had gone the other way, you'd have offered me to the executioner without a second thought, correct?"

His silence speaks volumes. Or perhaps the sight of the wooden slab I'm ushering him onto has stolen speech from his tongue.

"Usually I'd say its nothing personal. But two of my closest friends are dead and its definitely personal."

"Don't act like this is noble, Siren. You are a disease upon these waters."

I squeeze his shoulders, eyes shrinking with rage. "And I'm gonna keep spreading, love."

Aggie screams, scrambling up onto her feet. Bastian grabs her, holding her back, arms tight around her body. While the Admiral is watching my right-hands agony behind me, I shove his back, making him lose stability. His descent isn't far. He plunges beneath the debris field, breaking surface moments later with a frantic look on his face.

The ocean is frightsome beast. What lurks in those black miles under the waves are killers, killers much worse than me.

With him gone, sadness spreads through the air.

I turn, unsteadily, gazing upon my somber crew.

Bastian extends his hand to me, holding Aggie with his other arm to his chest. I step down, no longer seeing the vibrant red I could a minute ago, moving into his embrace.