000

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

prologue

prologue

Two young girls fled through the forest, the sound of walkers hot on their trail

Two young girls fled through the forest, the sound of walkers hot on their trail. They had been running since they had gotten separated from their father and uncle in the middle of the forest, it could've been hours, days, Juniper didn't know. All she could focus on was running, and keeping Amelia safe.

Juniper stopped behind a tree, to catch her breath, her sister following suite on the one beside her. Juniper bent over with her hands on her knees, as she attempted to get some air into her lungs, all while she kept an eye on her sister.

Juniper heard the sounds of footsteps getting closer, and watched as Amelia's breathing sped up faster. She placed a finger to her lips, signalling to be quiet, to which Amelia placed her hand over her mouth in response.

Juniper began to panic as the steps came louder at an alarming rate, she didn't show it though as she didn't want her sister to panic more.

She kept a tight grip on her pocket knife in case any came too close to them. She debated whether to grab Amelia and run, but decided it was too risky because not only were they still trying to refill air into their lungs but they could signal other walkers their way.

She had dropped her bow a while back in the forest out of fright, when she came face to face with loads more walkers. She prayed it would somehow come back to her because she could only do so much with a tiny knife, and not from a distance.

She heard snarls behind her head, and was about to turn around when shooting sounded from right behind her. This caused Amelia to jump forward in fright, coming out of her hiding spot and into Juniper's.

Juniper held tightly onto both her knife and her sister, who was currently shaking in her hold. The sound of gunfire could still be heard, and Juniper didn't know whether to feel relieved or more scared because their were people but what if they didn't help them because they just saw them as useless children.

The sound of gunfire stopped, causing Juniper to shoot out from behind the tree, all while keeping Amelia safely behind her. She faced her saviours and realised that it was a group consisting of adults and one child, who looked around Juniper's age.

She watched as a woman, who had two pigtails walked forward slowly, as to not frighten the girls anymore. Juniper slowly pointed her knife out, and watched as the woman lowered her gun to the ground.

Juniper followed suite, realising that if she was a threat they would've already been dead by now. The woman smiled at Juniper, sending a wave of comfort through her, and then at Amelia, who was peeking out from behind her sister.

"Hi, I'm Rosita" the woman introduced, getting down onto one knee as to be level with the girls.

"What's your names?" she asked, sending a reassuring smile to the two.

"I'm Juniper, and this is Amelia" she replied, while Rosita nodded in response.

"Are you two hungry? I have two granola bars in my bag" she said, taking them out and handing one to both of them.

"Thank you" Juniper smiled while taking it, she could tell they were going to get along just fine.

Juniper opened up the granola bar, while Amelia did the same. They both began eating, when Rosita got back up onto her two feet and motioned for the girls to follow her.

They followed her back to the group, with now empty granola wrappers. Juniper looked over at the young girl in front of her, who smiled excitedly.

"I'm Dillan" the girl introduced, sticking her hand out for Juniper to shake.

"Juniper" she responded, clasping the red haired girls hand in her own.

"This is my brother, Abraham, and our friend Eugene" she introduced, while Juniper looked at the two men.

She recognised a familiar object perched into the hands of the brunette male.

"That's my bow" she responded, causing everyone to turn to Eugene.

"Oh, here you go" he said, handing it to the girl with a smile, to which she returned.

"Thank you" she replied, placing her knife into her pocket, while clutching the bow in her hand.

"This is my sister, Amelia" Juniper introduced, to which the smaller blonde waved.

The action elicited a small chuckle from who Juniper now knew as Abraham, who waved back in response.

"We're headed to Washington, if you want to come with" Abraham spoke up, causing the two girls to nod excitedly.

"That would be great" Juniper responded, a bright smile on her face.

"We are going there because our friend Eugene here knows the cure" Rosita added, causing Juniper and Amelia's facial expressions to morph into disbelief.

The group then began moving, causing the two girls to follow. They strolled further into the forest, the leaves crunching beneath them with every step they took.

Juniper felt the happiest she had in a while. Her and her sister and made it out alive from a group of walkers. They had found a group who took them in easily with no hesitation. She had found her lost bow. And now the last thing left to do was to find her father.

Oh and get Eugene to Washington.