Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I woke up on the gym floor, which is one of the last places you would ever want to lie down on.  I don't think they've cleaned it since the plumbing system leaked in here two years ago.

I sat up, and there was Janessa and the rest of the team.  "Kyler, are you ok?"

I looked at my shoulder.  I had been bandaged but it still hurt.  "I've been better."

"Better or worse than after the beep test?"

The beep test is hell on the hockey field.  Some people call it different things, but we always called it the beep test.  There is a timed recording playing and you have to run to the 25 yard line and back.  If you don't make it before the 2nd beep, then you're out.  You don't want to be out.  The beeps keep getting faster until you are literally sprinting the life out of yourself.

I shook my head.  "Worse."

Janessa nodded.  Zoe turned to her.  "We can't take her to the hospital."

"Why not?"

"Having her in the hospital would get all over the news because there was the attack and they want to know about the causalities.  If Kyler's drugged up in the hospital then she won't be able to fight back if anyone attacks."

"Our base isn't suited for injuries like this.  I can't treat her there."

"My mom's store," I said.

"That's not a medical facility."

"She's getting new shipments today, she said some of it might be medical."

"It's worth a shot."

We got in the car and drove south of the city to the suburbs.  My mom owned a prom and wedding dress store.  I loved being there, everything was so pretty.  And there's the squad's weapon base in the basement.  I love that more.

We walked into the store.  I was trying not to pass out, since there was a few people in there and I didn't want them wondering why high school students were carrying their unconscious friend into a bridal store.

"Hey mom!" I said.

"Hey girls.  Why aren't you in school?"

"I'll tell you later," Janessa said.

"Anything new?" Jill asked.

"Some stuff.  You can head into the back to check it out."

"Are they pretty?" I asked.  To a stranger, it would sound like I'm talking about dresses, but I'm talking about weapons.

"It depends what you consider pretty.  Now head back, you're blocking my counter."

We laughed and walked into the back and down the secret stairs.  When we got down there, I sat on the bench while Mary Beth and Meghan started getting the supplies they would need.

"Is everything ok at school?" I asked.

"The knockout gas did the trick.  That was really smart," Annette said.

I smiled.  "Thanks.  Any idea what they were looking for?"

"Probably money."

"Then why would they root out just us?"

"I don't know."

I shook my head.  "It just doesn't make any sense."

"Because the plots of bad guys always make sense," Zoe said, rolling her eyes.

Then Janessa rubbed something on my shoulder and I bit back a scream and a ton of cursing.  The basement walls were kinda sound-proof, but I didn't want to take any chances.

A few minutes later, Janessa, Mary Beth and Meghan had my shoulder all fixed up.

"You'll be fine," Mary Beth said.

"Yeah, we won't have to replace your arm," Meghan said, laughing.

I smiled.  "That would be so cool, though.  I could get a robot arm and have super strength in one arm."

"I don't think that would work," Rose said.  I laughed.  She was always so serious.

"And it's your shoulder, not your arm," Meghan added.

"So I'll have a super robot shoulder."

"You're not getting any robotic limbs," my mom said as she entered the supply room.

"Please?" I said sarcastically.

"You're fine," Janessa said.  "We were able to take care of it."

"What happened?" Mom asked.

"I was tracked when I was on the field trip and that led the people back to the school where they locked us in the gym.  I escaped and knocked out the entire school by putting knockout gas through the vents.  As I was freeing everyone, someone stabbed me in the shoulder.  I stabbed them back and they ran away.  Then the knockout gas went through the cut and I passed out.  Now we're here," I said.

I don't know what made my mom decide to let me become a spy because of all the risks that came along with it, but when I was recruited, she let me.

~~~~~

Sorry it's been so long. Vote, comment , fan <3