Chapter 7

Chapter 7

We pulled into the school parking lot.  There were a lot of cars and a lot of commotion coming from the turf field and stadium.

"Today's championships.  Field hockey championships.  Here," I said.

"Ky, we can't.  We have to pick up Meghan and leave," Annette said.

"But otherwise we only have ten players and no goalie."

"We can't."

"We can't have them forfeit either!"  I knew I was being petty, but we couldn't let our team down like that.  It was the first time we had made it to championships ever, and everyone was so excited.  Now, we would definitely lose.  I knew it was stupid, but I had to go for it.

"Kyler.  Please listen.  We have to leave.  We aren't safe here.  And even if we wanted to, we don't have any of our stuff."

I smiled.  "Follow me."  

"No," Annette shook her head.  "Are you forgetting that someone just died?  And you want to go off and play in a game?  You're delusional, Kyler."

"Before we were all spies, we were all someone else.  And then once we became spies, we learned to balance our lives.  Why is that different now?"

"Because someone just died," Annette repeated.

"We have to keep some sort of cover up."

"We have to finish our mission."

I threw up my hands.  "You can leave if you want, any of you can.  But I'm staying."

Annette sighed.  "Splitting up is a bad idea too."

"At this point, everything is a bad idea," Jill added.

We walked into the school and I went to the secret staircase in the senior locker room.  It led down to the basement, where during the beginning of the school year, I had hidden everything we could ever need.  It had food, weapons, clothes, gear, and field hockey stuff.

"I'm still not sure," Annette said.  "The girl is here somewhere."

"We'll be careful," Jill said as she pulled on her shin guards.  "Who's gonna be goalie?"

Then the door to the staircase opened.  I pulled out a gun and had it locked and loaded on the stairs.  When I saw who it was, I put my gun down and smiled.  "Hey Meghan.  Perfect timing."

"We're seriously playing in the game today?"

"It's championships," I shrugged.

"Are you seriously all agreeing to this?" Annette asked.

"Just suck it up and put on your shin guards," Jill said.

"I have the footage," Meghan said.  "And I got out without anyone noticing."

"Awesome," I said as she put it in one of the safes and all four of us put our fingerprints on the scanners.  We would need all of our fingerprints to open it now, so if something happened to any one of us, we would lose it.

~~~

We walked onto the field with all our gear.  The game had already started, it was six minutes in and it was already 4-0, the other team.  We had no coach, and only ten field players, and no goalie.

"Time out," I said to the ref.  He blew his whistle and both teams ran off.

"You're here!" everyone said.  "Where's everyone else?"

"Doesn't matter.  We're here now.  What's going on?"

"We're being killed.  With our coach and both our captains missing, we're a little off.  Plus, it's kind of hard when half the team is missing."