Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Janessa wouldn't let us go back to school, not until we figured out who those people were.  Jill and I were working at my mom's store.  "Do you think this color would look good on me?" I said as I held a purple dress.

"Kyler, shut up.  You look good in every color."

I smiled.  "Thanks, Jill.  You're a doll."

"You know it."  She looked back down at her phone.

I put the dress back on the rack, and I said to Jill, "Can you watch here for a minute?  I have to go to the back."

"Sure!" She sat at the sales desk.

"And put your phone away," I said as I swatted it out of her hands.  She laughed and slid it into her pocket.

There was no one in the store right now except us two, and my Mom in the back, but the store was open.  I walked to the back and checked my phone.  Mom had a strict rule about no phones in the front where people could see me.  It was unprofessional.  So I would come back here to check my phone.

The background on my phone was a picture we took after our first high school field hockey game, which was the same day we had completed our first mission.  I was in the center, drenched in sweat and my blonde hair falling out of my messy bun.  Lanie was on Zoe's back, and Zoe didn't look happy about it.  Meghan still had on her goalie gear, but she had taken of her helmet.  She was hugging her twin, Mary Beth.  They were the cutest sisters.  Jill was doing a handstand for some reason I will never understand, just because she's Jill.  And Annette was dumping water on Coach Janessa.  Rose, Abby and Victoria weren't in the picture because they were still in 8th grade and not on the team.

I looked at my notifications.  There were a few texts from the other people at school, wondering where I was and if I was ok.  I didn't respond to any of them.  I texted Janessa asking if there were any leads, and waited a few minutes to see if she would respond.  She didn't, so I walked back out to help Jill.

I saw someone walk out and the door close behind her.  "Did you make a sale, Jill?" I asked.

"No, she just walked in, looked around and left."  I walked to the window and looked at her.  Then I stopped.  "Jill, can you drive?"

"Yep!"

I ran to the back.  "Mom!  Jill and I have to leave now!"

"Be careful!"

I grabbed my phone, two guns and a knife.  I ran back out and slid the gun to Jill, who had her keys in hand.

"Get in the car and follow that girl.  She's the one who stabbed me in the gym."

"Ok."  We got in the car and I pulled out my phone.

"Hey, Nessa."

"What, Kyler?"

"We found the girl who stabbed me."

"And you went after her."

"Yep!  Were we not supposed to?"

"No.  You're not cleared for missions; you're still hurt."

I groaned.  "Fine." I opened the glove box of the car and pushed some buttons.  A small chip fired from our car and stuck to the girl's.  Just a little thing I had my friends do at headquarters when Janessa wasn't looking.  "Jill, turn around next exit.  Janessa's orders."

_____

Right now, that chip is the only lead we have on them.  I was sitting at my desk watching the point.  I was parked in a small neighborhood, the girl was probably at home.  "Kyler, get off the computer and come eat dinner," my mom said.

"Mom, I have to follow this lead."

"Janessa will take care of it."

"Fine."  I marked the spot on my laptop where the car was parked, then I went downstairs and ate my dinner.  Mom had the news on, and they were still talking about the attack at school yesterday. 

I finished my pizza and swallowed two of the pills Janessa gave me yesterday, then my phone rang.  I was about to pick it up when I heard on the news, "A few minutes ago, there was a murder of high school student Mary Beth Niles.  Niles was a 16 year old sophomore at Mount Carmel.  She has a twin sister and was a member of numerous activities at her school.  She was at school during the attack yesterday, but she was unhurt.  As of right now, we have no leads on her murder."

I sat down and answered my phone, which was surprisingly still ringing.  It was Meghan.  She was sobbing.  "Meghan, Meghan.  Calm down."

"I can't.  I was out of the house for such little time.  Just to walk Shadow."  Shadow is her dog.  He's white, but he would follow their other dog, Chloe, around so they called him shadow.  "When I came back, she was- she-."  She burst out sobbing.

"Meghan, it'll be ok."  Then my phone rang.  "Janessa's calling me.  I'll call you back, ok?"

She didn't respond.

"I can't see if you're nodding."

I heard a small laugh.  "Yeah."

"Yeah, Nessa?"

"We are getting you all to secure places.  You guys have to stay low and on guard until this is figured out.  I'm going to pick you up soon.  Get everything you need."

"We're just leaving?  One of my best friends was just killed, and you expect me just to hide, and not do anything!  Janessa, I'm not doing that, and you know I'm not."

"Kyler, please, this is not the time for this."  I started walking up stairs and gathering up the stuff I needed.

"When is?  After another innocent person dies because we didn't do anything to stop this?!"

"Kyler!  Listen to me!  I know you're mad, but you have to stay focused.  You can't do anything to fix this, just accept it and leave it to the authorities."

"This was my fault, I led them to the school, and I am not going to sit back and let other people solve my problems."

"Kyler, stop being stupid and-."

I hung up my phone.  I wasn't gathering stuff to go into hiding.  I was getting all my mission gear.  I put on all my best gear, put three knives and two guns into the sheaths and holsters on the belt around my waist, and inserted a comms into my ear.

I called Lanie.  "Did you hear?" she asked.

"Yeah."

"Do you know who's getting picked up first?"

"No.  And I'm not getting picked up."

"What?!  Why?"

"I don't want to.  One of my best friends died, I'm not sitting back and watching."

Lanie paused.  "Where should I meet you?"

"My mom's store.  Bring everything you need.  My comms are online."

"Got it.  See you there."

I continued to call Rose, Zoe, Annette, Abby, Victoria and Jill.  I didn't call Meghan because I figured she needed some time to get herself together.  Everyone agreed to my plan except Victoria, who thought it was stupid and risky.  It might be, but I don't run away from my problems.

~~~~~

I feel like it's been a while since I've worked on this story, and it has. I hope you enjoyed this chapter, I know it wasn't the happiest, but the plot will get really good from here. I still haven't worked out what all is going to happen, but I have a general idea. Vote, comment, fan <3