Chapter 15

GALE

I'm staring at her hand while she continues to stare at the floor.

Cyder told her too much. I knew she was going to visit for the holidays, but I didn't know when. But it's partially my fault that I didn't ask her, but It's not like I have her number, she always changes phones because her previous ones "aren't fast enough" or "don't have a good camera."

I was at work earlier, doing my usual thing, organizing files, walking around, and pretending to be occupied, but In reality, I was looking for something to pass the time. I couldn't play on my phone. I couldn't stay inside my office—because god knows how many times I've stared at the same road, the same building, and the same massive bridge outside the same massive window.

Rob—my boss—told me to take the rest of the day off because he saw how big my smile was when I was on a call with Christy in the hallway. "Think of it as an early Christmas gift from me. Just don't tell the others, 'kay?" Rob said before disappearing into his office.

It was weird how Christy let Cyder in even if she didn't know her. But I can't really think about that right now, not after I see Christy's mouth curl into a smile.

She lowers her hand and my eyes meet hers.

I bite my cheek and I feel like my heart gets a little bit warmer when I see her eyes study my face, then my hands.

She lets out a short giggle, then she covers her mouth and gasps.

Is this a signal to walk over? No. I'll wait. I'll wait for her to-

"Lev." She whispers.

I widen my eyes. Does she remember me now?

"Lev?" I repeat. I know what she was talking about. I'm just not sure which Lev she remembers. "Who's that?" I say. Though my throat began to tighten right after.

"Don't bullshit me, Lev." She says, moving towards me.

I tilt my head and stare at her, trying to keep my composure. "Lev who?"

"Gale Levelle. Lev."

My mouth stretches into a grin. "And who's that?"

She moves her hand and places a finger on my nose. "It's you."

"Me." I was smiling now. "You remember me?"

She nods with pure honesty in her expression.

I couldn't help but let out the tears I'd been holding ever since I heard her call my name inside the office.

The moment she called me "Velle," like she actually knew who I was. The time she referred to the house as "My" house. The moment I saw her smile when she saw me. The wonder in her eyes. I fucking love her for that, more than I ever did before.

I bite my lips and I feel all the weight on my back go away. Christy finally remembers me.

My vision becomes blurry as tears fill my eyes. Good, happy tears. Not the same tears I cried that night. I'm just too happy that Christy finally looks at me like I'm someone she knew before that accident. That fucking accident.

For the first time in the month she had known me. I'm finally hugging her as myself and not someone else she thinks is me. Not Gale. Myself.

"I missed you," I say into her hair. I hope what I said was audible, but I highly doubt it with how tight my throat is right now. "I missed you so much."

"Lev!" She yells as her arms tighten around my back.

I took all the courage I had and focused it on parting myself with her. Not to leave her. No, I would never do that. I wanted to kiss her. I want to kiss her as the person she loves.