Chapter 25

A twist of the key and I'm inside my mom's house. The first place I checked was under the flower pot she used to keep just beside the other bazillion flower pots. Then I gave up after that. How can a small house be so big? That, I don't know about. I grew up here, and now that I'm standing here again after a whole year of living with Lev, I feel nostalgic. And stressed because I couldn't get the key a few minutes ago.

Me: Hiiiii.
Me: Mom.
Me: Ma.
Me: I'm at your place, where's the spare key?
Me: :)
Mom: I don't have any spare keys.
Me: WHAT?!
Mom: Kidding, it's under the welcome mat, like how a normal house has.
Me: Thxthx love you!

I'm inside my mother's house now, and I get a whiff of the faint scent of the soap she uses. It had a flowery scent. Not too strong, but just enough for me to instantly smell it from the closed bathroom door.

The first thing I do was to scatter around and check everywhere. Everywhere.

I checked each drawer, closet, shelve, and every nook and cranny of the house, just to find my phone. My old phone. I wasn't sure if it was still alive. I mean, getting in a car crash would have probably destroyed it. But, the weird thing is, I had forgotten to bring the phone to our date.

So somewhere, inside a random drawer, my old Samsung is waiting. Waiting for me to turn it on, and scroll through my past life. And I would flip the whole house upside-down to find it-

"Ooh, there you are."

I grab the dusty phone along with its charger who was sitting beside it inside of the drawer I opened.

I smile at how beat-up the phone looked. After almost 6 years of use and the phone was still able to function. I guess it was worth every penny I saved up. Every penny my mom saved up.

I peel off the phone case, revealing the sticky residue of the 4 years of non-stop sticky notes that had been stuck to it. All from Lars, and none from Lev.

I take off the ballcap that I had-guiltily-stolen again from Lev's car. Sorry, Lev. And I lie down on the bed, pressing the button on the side of the phone, hoping that it would turn on, and lavish my eyes with nostalgia.

It didn't, and I scoff at that.

I sigh and check my-current-phone. 12 missed calls from Lev, with a few text messages I read but didn't reply to.

"Sorry, Lev." I whisper before plugging in the dead phone.

With a lip bite, I brace myself when I finally try a second time at turning the phone on. And. . .

"Woohoo!" I celebrate as the little Samsung logo pops up on the screen.

A few minutes pass and I'm met with a password screen. Fuck. It wasn't like I had a bad memory-but that's exactly what it is.

I was able to remember a massive chunk of my past. I was able to remember something that happened exactly 5 years ago on this exact same day, just a few hours ago. But I wasn't able to remember the simplest passwords, which is why I have a note file that had all my passwords written on it. Then I remember that it was on this phone. The one that I had forgotten the password to. Curse my life, and curse this phone.

I almost give up, but then I realize the bombardment of text message notification banners on the Oofy lock screen.

I took a quick scroll through them, and I see that most of them were from around a month ago. 35 days to be exact. All from the familiar name registered on my phone. Gale Luv-elle.

I lean back on the bed I was sitting on in defeat. Now that I'm at my mother's house, and I remember Lev and Lars, I'm just lying down, like an absolute snob, and doing nothing.