aftermath

PART FOUR OF DREAMLAND

( per usual, lots of trigger warnings, also, substance abuse and sh )

" i have no place in the world. "

"SHE'S ALMOST HERE, NAT. I CAN SEE HER HEAD!" STEVE ROGERS CRIED OUT IN ENCOURAGEMENT AS PLANTED A FEW KISSES TO HIS WIFE'S FEVERISH FOREHEAD. Natasha's skin was laced in sweat, exhaustion being her primary feeling as she fought to bring their baby into the world. And boy was that little girl stubborn too, after months spent struggling to keep her from being born prematurely, it's almost like the baby was having stage fright.

The final act was upon them and their daughter didn't want to budge. If the circumstances were different, perhaps Natasha could find some humor in that – the irony was striking her dead in the face. But now, 24 hours in excruciating labor, she truly wasn't in a laughing mood.

The woman was overdue by three days. A true miracle given that they almost lost the baby in the first place due to cervical insufficiency. Natasha can't help but be a little proud of herself for keeping their child inside of her for as long as she did – especially when doctors were adamant that she would likely be early anyway.

That was the last thing Natasha wanted..for her treacherous body to turn on her helpless baby once more. She didn't want the girl to suffer, especially when the safest place she could be was inside of her. The woman knew that the baby would have likely been healthy anyway if they had to induce early, but a part of her – the part that was paranoid about everything – said otherwise.

Now, however, Natasha kind of wished she would have agreed to the induction sooner. Waiting for her body to kickstart labor naturally was the longest two weeks of her life. And it didn't help that Natasha felt huge and useless while heavily pregnant. The Wakandan variation of tocolytics they gave her, while effective at keeping Anya in, also caused Natasha to tremble uncontrollably. The drugs made her anxious in a way like she drank six cups of coffee in a row, but she couldn't walk around or move to get the energy out because she was still on bedrest.

She was off of the medications for a while. In fact, Natasha didn't need to take them for most of her second trimester. However, when she was around twenty-four weeks, the woman awoke in a puddle of her own blood and severe abdominal cramps.

The woman shook Steve awake, tears already blistering in her eyes as she rubbed a trembling hand over her small, but prominent baby bump. Steve jolted awake and began to panic, asking her what was wrong. Honestly, the red head could hardly form a cohesive sentence as she whimpered, pulling the comforter over to expose the violent red puddle between her pale legs.

Steve sputtered for words but eventually let out a low swear. He scooped his arms underneath Natasha's body and pulled her free from the bed, holding her bridal style. Nat continued to shiver in his arms, choking on breath as fresh tears welled in her eyes.