Chapter 6

“Yes I’m coming today for the hundredth time.” I say into the phone wedged between my shoulder and ear.

“Ok, are you sure you don’t want me to pick you up?” Natalie says desperately into the phone.

“I’m sure… you’re already on your way! I just showered… I’m going to be late.” I explain, shaking my wet hair from my towel, ripping on a pair of Roots sweatpants.

“Fine… but promise me you won’t wear sweats!” I glance down at the grey sweat pants I had just yanked on, contemplating lying. I strip down to my pink thong again with a sigh.

“You’re killing me.”

Natalie giggles, saying her goodbyes and hangs up. I stare in my closet as if it has a curse. I used to want to buy pairs of Maloles ballet flats, wear slinky Tory Burch dresses, and ouhhh over the new line of Gucci sunglasses, but lately they all just looked as meaningless as my life. But, Nat had been so amazing with this whole situation I at least owed her this.

So, I pull on a pair of low-rise Sevens jeans, a cropped shirt with a sparkly heart in the centre, showing off my belly button ring and tan stomach. I then put on a pair of brown wedges from a store in Paris called Rive Gauche. I look at the time, gasping as I see it’s 8:19… school started in 10 minutes. I wasn’t even planning on going to school this morning, but my mom shook me awake demanding me to get up.

I rub on some face makeup and swipe on mascara, snatching my frayed purse and run my fingers through my hair. My mom has already left, I dig out my keys and snatch an apple on my way out. As I turn out of our long driveway, rolling down the window to try and dry my hair.

I pull into the school, my spot clear beside Nat’s yellow Bug and Olivia’s black Porche. I tumble into school, glancing at my gold Michael Kohrs watch, 8:35. Shit. I find my locker, snatching my books and trying to jog in my wedges to class.

I yank open the door to my Chemistry class, everyone falling silent. Mr. Sanders stands at the front of the class, eying me disapprovingly.

“You don’t show up to class one day and come late the next, Ms. Lowoel.” He lectures me, his tight long sleeved grey shirt showing off his bulky muscles. “But, I’ll let you off this time. Take a seat.” Mr. Sanders eyes soften, letting out a small smile, gesturing to an open seat. I blush at his gaze, his hotness over whelming me. But I realized his eyes weren’t as sparkly as Ethan’s, hair didn’t look as soft, hands didn’t look as smooth.

I sigh, finally turning towards the class. All the usual people from every year, the blond wannabe Serena Holland, Jesse Ty the skate border, the smart Asian with perfect hair Kaiya Lonng, Gavin Foster the popular soccer player, the lead in every play, Robin Bennici and Stu Pleater, the drummer in a popular local band called Run with Stars.

I lock eyes with someone in the second row. A pair of gorgeous, dark sea green eyes. Ethan. He’s wearing a pair of dark washed jeans and a purple pull over. His gaze captivates me and steals my heart, almost making me stop in my path. I almost smile when his gaze travels to my exposed midline and prominent hipbones. He gulps when I rub my fingers through my hair, my shirt rising up even more.

“Carson,” Natalie calls from the back of the room, but I barely notice. Ethan’s stare intensifies, his grip on his books tightening. Someone clears their throat awkwardly, so Ethan and I rip our eyes from each other. I maneuver to the back of the class, noticing the guys staring at my ass the whole way.

Natalie is slouching in the very back, one heeled foot thrown over the chair beside her, saving it. She slides it off as I plop down, finally breathing properly. Nat pops her gum, filling her nails. “Saw that.” She claims raising a perfectly plucked eyebrow at me.