Chapter 14

"I was thinking, we could go see a show on Broadway." I say as I lay back on the pillows on one of the beds in the room. Kol plops himself onto the bed opposite of me and looks at me quizzically.
"I never thought of you as the musical type." He says and I roll my eyes.
"It's mostly hymns that I'm mostly familiar with." I remark as I scroll through the list of shows on my phone.
"I was thinking we could go on a proper date." Kol suggests and I glance at him over the top of my phone.
"You're asking me out? You do know Niklaus will attempt to have your head for that, right?" I say playfully.
"He can't claim you as only his." Kol says and I roll my eyes.
"But you can?" I remark as I click a link searching for tickets to Phantom of the Opera.
"Never." He responds and I toss my phone at him.
"How do you feel about Phantom? I've always wanted to see it but Niklaus was always too busy when we were here." I say as I watch as he scrolls. After a moment he types a few things and tosses it back. I glance at the screen and see he's purchased tickets close to the stage.
"That's not what I meant when I asked if you wanted to see it." I say and he grins. I sigh loudly and pull myself into a sitting position.
"I have nothing to wear to Broadway, but I'm afraid if Rebekah finds out we went shopping in New York without her she'll skin me alive." I mutter as I stand from the bed, I pay myself down making sure I have everything.
"Are you coming? Or do you want to just stay here until I get back? I'll have to come back to change anyways." I say as he stands.
"My brothers and yours would kill me if I let you wander New York by yourself." He says and I roll my eyes.
"I can handle myself." I remark as we walk from the hotel room and I don't object when Kol slips his hand into mine. I let him lead me to the elevator and then straight into the heart of Times Square. Involuntarily I find myself holding his hand tighter.
"This is a lot of people." I mutter mostly to myself and Kol gives me a concerned look.
"I'm fine, just haven't been around this many people in a while." I say as I glance around at the abundance of stores. I pull out my phone and search for stores that would have clothes I'm comfortable in, barely registering how close Kol is to me.
"Let's just explore until we find somewhere." Kol says taking the phone from my hand and slipping it into his pocket.
"Okay, fine." I say trying not to grin as I let him lead me deeper into Times Square.

"We're not going down Fifth Avenue." I say with a shake of my head.  And then point at a little boutique.
"This looks promising." I say as I step in the doorway, Kol following diligently behind. I stroll a little trying to decide what would be fitting. I know Broadway doesn't have an official dress code, but I'm currently in jeans and a slightly wrinkled t shirt. I stop at a rack holding dresses, gravitating towards black when Kol's hand stops me at a deep emerald green dress.
"You wear black too much." He says as he plucks it off the rack, heading for check out before I can protest. I stand there slightly opened mouth as he comes back with a bag in hand.
"You have to stop buying me things." I mutter as I pull him from the store.
"I need shoes now." I say looking down at my beaten up converse. And then, against my better judgement, I head down Fifth Avenue, because if I'm spending money on heels it's going to be a pair I wear again.

"How long until the show?" I ask as I take my bags from Kol.
"A couple more hours." He says and I nod.
"So I have time to change really quick and then we can go grab drinks somewhere close to the theater." I say as I step and hail a cab. We slide into the back as Kol leans forwards and tells him the hotel.
"Was that you agreeing to a date?" He asks and I laugh.
"I guess so." I say as I lean into the seat. After about ten minutes we pull up to the hotel. I hand money to the cab driver before Kol can even think of it before sliding from the cab and heading towards the hotel.

I lock myself in the bathroom of our room as I strip from the jeans and t shirt I was wearing. I slide into the dress and can't help but to agree that green is a good color on me. I pin my hair back from my face and then step into the heels. I  step from the bathroom and watch as Kol appraises me.
"You look amazing." He says after a long moment.
"Thank you." I respond as I pop earrings on as we head for the door. Suddenly, my phone starts ringing, still in Kol's pocket. And then I notice he's changed himself and we subtly match. He hands me my phone from his pocket. I stare down at Damon's name across my screen.
"Hello?" I say as I answer, still following Kol from the room.
"Where are you?" He asks as Kol takes my hand again.
"On a date." I respond vaguely.
"Where and with who?" He asks, putting on his best big brother voice.
"New York and Kol. I have to go, we're going to be late." I lie as I hang up and then turn my phone off.
"I'll deal with him later." I say as I slide my phone into the pocket on my dress.
"I'm sure we'll both be hearing from him." Kol remarks and I roll my eyes. We're just outside the hotel, when I stop and stand up on my tiptoes a little and pull Kol's head down and plant a kiss firmly on his lips. He pulls me closer as he kisses me back. After a moment we break apart and he's immediately grinning.
"I don't care what they have to say." I tell him and in response he kisses me again.
"We really should stop kissing in the middle of a busy sidewalk." I say when we stop, grinning myself now.
"And we have a show to get to." He says he wraps his arm around my shoulder as he hails another taxi.