Chapter 9

My hands fly to dial Niklaus' number after the message came through about the house. He picks up on the second ring.
"So you're talking to me today?" He asks and I sigh.
"You can't just spring Stefan on me like that. Our relationship is incredibly complicated." I say as I throw my suitcases and shopping bags into the back of my car.
"But if you're going to be a sourpuss, I'm not going to tell you what I called to tell you." I tell him as I slide behind the wheel.
"Sourpuss?" He says but I can hear the amusement in his voice.
"I got the house, I'm headed there to get the keys now. And to see what work needs to be done." I tell him, more than a little excited.
"If you want to meet me, you can. Otherwise I'm probably going to be there trying to make arrangements to fix it up." I say as I start driving.

I put the keys in the door of my new home and let the door creep open. It creaks open and I take a mental note of that. I step inside, and aside from it beings incredibly dusted and a little outdated it doesn't need a bunch of work.
"I'm gonna have to buy so much freaking furniture." I mumble to myself as I hear car doors slam. I walk to the front door and throw it open.
"It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. But, the outside is what's gonna need the work." I say to Niklaus and Rebekah as I stand on the porch.
"I made some calls on the way over to have some people come and assess what all needs updated. And I hired a gardener." I say, full blown excited.
"I don't think I've ever seen you this happy." Rebekah remarks looking up at the house.
"It's because I haven't been this happy in a while." I tell her with a shrug.
"Are you going to throw a house warming party?" She asks and I shake my head 'no'.
"I think I know exactly six people here." I say with a shrug.
"There's so much to do." I say, mostly to myself.
"I have to get furniture, pick out paint. Get the place painted." I say and shake my head.
"I also should probably inform my brothers I bought a house." I say and then look at them.
"Anyways, you guys wanna see it?" I say and then they follow me inside.

"It's big." Rebekah says and I nod.
"It'll be nice to have the space, though." I say with a nod as we stand in the empty foyer.

A few weeks fly by in what seems like a blink of an eye. I end up so busy between the gardener and the contractors and the movers for the furniture, that I don't even realize I haven't spoken to anyone. But, my home is ready to exactly how I want it. Surprisingly it's a lot of brighter colors and natural light. But it doesn't feel anything like the boarding house and the memories it holds. This house feels fresh, not tainted by my father and all the blood he spilled there. I quickly type out a text to both Niklaus and Rebekah apologizing for disappearing on them and then informing them the house is down. Then follow it up with messages to both of my brother, whom I've also not spoken to in weeks. I also inform them that I bought a house and the renovations are done. And that they're welcome to come and see it whenever they'd like.

I plan on apologizing for the last time I spoke to Damon face to face when he shows up, if he decides to. We've never gone long without seeing each other, and in a weird way I understand he's worried about me. But I can't begin to make him understand why I trust Niklaus like I do. He's yet to hurt me, intentionally, he understands me in a way Stefan and Damon can't.

I sit with a book on the front porch, my feet propped up on the wooden swing, my back pressed against the arm of it. It sways gently with my movement. It's incredibly peaceful out it, and it's something I didn't realize I needed. I can feel the years of tension starting to fade away, slowly. Not that this house magically made everything better, but not constantly having to fear I'm going to see my own bloodstains in the hardwood brings a certain level of peace to the soul.

I watch as Damon's car slowly pulls up my driveway, as he takes in the house.
"This is what you've been working on?" He asks, as he gets out of his car and I nod.
"I needed the change, Damon. The old house just made me so angry and anxious to have to be in." I tell him as I stand up from where I was sitting.
"I also wanted to say that I'm sorry for the last time we saw each other. This place, that house, it just brings out the worst in me sometimes. Not that that excuses anything." I tell him.
"You just scare me sometimes Serena. I worry that you aren't thinking things through." He says and I sigh.
"You think that I don't know Niklaus as well as you think you do." I say and I shake my head.
"He's a lot more than the angry prone to violent man you know, Damon. I know you don't trust him. But you need to trust me when I tell you he wouldn't ever willingly hurt me." I say and he sighs like he's giving in.
"Okay." He says after a long moment.
"Do you want to see what it looks like on the inside? I'm having people over for dinner later, but you'll be the first to see it since it's been finished." I tell him with a smile and he nods.
"Good because I think you might like it." I tell him as I invite him inside.