Post war: Year five

Year five
___________

Life started to be normal again.

Draco was put in charge of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. He left the house in the morning and came back in the afternoon. They had a normal life, a happy life.

Everyone seemed to have a happy, normal life. Wounds of the past began to heal and plans about the future were made. Amara threw herself completely into running a household.

However, this spring was rough for all of them.

It was the fifth anniversary of Voldemort's victory but that also meant it was the fifth year of Daphne's death.

Amara tried to distract herself with gardening, drawing and reading. Yet every morning she walked into the kitchen the first thing she saw was the calendar next to the fridge.

In three days this house will be full of people. Pureblood families were invited for a celebration of the victory.  It would be the first event she hosted, it was her responsibility. Amara had to make all sorts of decisions, from flower arrangements to a seating chart. It felt like her wedding planning all over again but without her mother and the excitement.

She had a smile plastered on her face, on a day that only filled her with sadness but she went through it. Smiled and greeted everyone, held pleasant conversations and made jokes. Her insides twisted with every laugh – ached every time she looked at her brother drowning one drink after the other.

She knew he didn't want to be here. He only came because their father forced him to.

______

"You did great, Darling," her father smiled and kissed her on the cheek, "your mother would be so proud."

"Thank you," Amara smiled.

"Good night," she hugged Pansy whispering in her ear, "Where is Theo?"

"Where he always is," Pansy replied, "Drinking."

"Have you seen your brother?" her father asked before he stepped through the door.

"I think the Minister wanted to discuss some important matter with him," Pansy quickly said.

"Maybe the boy finally came to his senses and accept the job," Mr. Nott muttered.

"What job?" Amara frowned.

"He didn't tell you?" Pansy wondered, "The Minister offered him the position of Department of Regulation and Control of Muggle-borns," she explained.

"He did? That is... a great honour," Amara mumbled.

"And he didn't even blink before he said no," her father muttered rolling his eyes.

"I'll talk to him."

Mr. Nott smiled, pleased by his daughter,  "Good night."

_____

Amara didn't wait for the other guests to leave. She put on a trenchcoat and slipped out the back door. She wasn't sure she had the right place in mind when Pansy said 'Where he always is' but Amara knew she had to find him and bring him home. It was a rough day, especially for him.

She slowly opened the black door, it creaked as she stepped through. The room was wrapped in dim light. Men and women sat at various tables, staring at her and her neat appearance. She didn't fit in.

At the other end of the pub, at the bar, a dark-haired boy caught her attention.

"Theo?" Amara asked quietly, placing her hand on her brother's shoulder.