The Chosen Day

"So, who are you?"

"I'm Lucia! I don't have a last name," she responded with small pep in her step. "Who are you?"

Enter your name

What? I thought it would be name recognition... oh whatever. "I'm (Y/n)."

"I like your name!"

"I... like yours too!" You looked out into the distance to the large European castle. "So how long is the walk?"

"Oh not very long. Once we leave the rural area we can grab a carriage and head up to the palace.

"So every girl can audition? Sounds like a lot."

"Yeah, everyone. Honestly, it is very easy to get eliminated," she informed. "They judge you first on your introduction. Usually, a few thousand girls are eliminated during introductions, then more are eliminated during the so-called 'getting to know you' part."

"Sounds kind of like a game show of some sort."

"A game show?" she asked, tilting her head. "What's that?"

Oh no. "Oh, it's nothing. Just a term I say at home," you explained, rapidly waving your hands around.

"Funny," she said with a slight sigh. Her amethyst eyes were slightly glazed over. "This 'game show' sounds like a lot of fun."

You frowned with a small shrug. "Eh, it was alright. I was never a huge fan of them."

"They sound really neat," she said with a strained smile. You, however, were not paying attention to her melancholic attitude as the dirt road started to morph into a cobble road.

"Ah, we're here!" she said, brightening up. You took a step back to admire the scenery. The buildings surrounded a large plaza were busy with shops, restaurants, and housing. People were hustling and bustling in the plaza; talking, arguing, laughing, and being lively.

Wow, she really put a lot of work into the NPCs, you thought as you watched a couple argue.

"You look impressed! Do you get out of your house much?"

I do!

Not really...

No, not at all.

"No, not at all," you said. Best out of those three options.

Lucia laughed at your answer. "It's like you just moved here!"

I kind of did... against my will, you thought. "Well, I'm directionally challenged so I don't get out much."

"Really? This city is pretty easy to navigate," Lucia replied as she pointed towards the right. "Over there are most of the shops. Vendors also like setting up stands. Although the path narrows near the buildings of shops, it leads to a port and the main entrance to the kingdom. Here in the Leijona kingdom, we have tons of florists come in from all around the regions, so merchants usually gather around the ports and the line of shops."

Then she pointed towards the left, where many people were sitting with some sort of food or beverage in their hands. A mixture of pleasant and flavorful scent filled your nose as soon as you faced in said direction. "You can guess what's over there. My favorite place to eat is the Lion's Tavern, but it has a lot of fatty foods," Lucia said, drool starting to slide down the corner of her mouth. "We look around later, but that is the basic rundown. Any questions?"

You looked up at the palace. "Should we get going now before we get late?"

"Oh, right! We have an hour to get there!"