A Meeting with a Prince

"Is that Alex?"

Lucia didn't respond. You nudged her gently. "Are you nervous right now?" you asked with a reassuring smile.

"No, I'm not. To be frank, I don't really want to be here again. But as long as I can support you, that's what I'm here for."

"Then why're you shaking like a leaf?"

"I... don't know. Don't mind me."

You grabbed her hand gently, looking up at the prince.

"Ladies, welcome to this very special and grand day!" he announced. "You all look quite lovely today." He scanned the crowd, before locking eyes with you. He looked you up and down and slightly raised an eyebrow judgmentally.

Okay, won't be choosing you. Dick, you thought with a frown. "Lucia, are you alright now?"

"I'm fine now. Thanks," she said, squeezing your hand. "Don't let go of me."

This really is one strange NPC, you thought. "Alright."

You looked up at the princes again, this time noticing two golden eyes staring down at you. You looked away with a flushed face. Why is he staring at me like that?

Your hand slipped out of your friend's as Alex's voice came back into your ear. "And when you are eliminated, please leave through the main entrance." He directed his gaze towards the gargantuan double doors.

"Of course," the black-haired prince chimed in, voice deep and honey-smooth, "if you don't comply, we are going to have to use force." A small emerald slipped out of his imperial robe and sharpened into a dagger. He spun it around lazily in the air, eying the crowd with a sinister gleam in his eyes.

"Now now, we shouldn't harass the crowd like that. I'm sure these ladies can't do anything," a tall, blue-haired prince said, adjusting his rounded glasses with his gloved hand.

What does he mean by that? you wondered, tightening your grip on Lucia's hand. You felt her wince, telling you to relax.

"Well, they can do a lot of things! You should see the female-only equestrian races we have at home!" A small blonde chimed in, jumping on top of the blue-haired prince's shoulders.

"I've seen them plenty of times. But the horses do all of the work."

"But who do you think trains them?"

"The men?"

The blonde frowned and hopped off his friend. "Rule one: all racers must train their own horses."

"What do horses have to do with rioting women?" the long-haired prince chimed in with a frown. "Let's get back on topic, no?"

"For once, I agree with Quinn," Alex said.

"They bicker a lot, don't they?" you whispered.

"Quinn and Alex? Oh, yes, they hate each other. No one really knows why," Lucia replied.

"Man, it's going to take awhile for the introductions to pass," you commented.

"Didn't you hear them? They said they're going to split the group as best as they can. It cuts down work... though it still is a lot of work."

"Weren't you having a nervous breakdown when they were talking?"

"I was still listening, just not as much as you were," she replied, scratching her arm timidly. "Where are you going to go?"

This feels a little unprofessional. Like we're diving for a school field trip, you thought as you looked at the four princes.

Alex, the prince of your home kingdom had his hands on his hips and was laughing along to what the small blonde was talking about. The blue-haired was conversing with Quinn, but staying relatively close to Joey's side. Quinn seemed he wasn't enjoying the conversation, since the emerald he had was morphing into all different shapes- as if he wasn't paying any attention.