Choosing Ceremony

Maddie's POV

Our family walked to the ceremony. I can't believe I'm Divergent. When we walked in, Dianne McClay, the leader of Erudite, saw us. "Rooney family. Nice to meet you." She says. Mom said she was super snotty. "Make smart choices. The test should've helped you." She says.

"But we make the decision." I say.

"Maddie!" Joey whisper yells.

"True. Have fun today." She says as she walks.

"Maddie, shh." Dad says. We sit and wait for our name to be called.

"Andie Delany." The announcer says. She goes up and quickly drops blood into Dauntless. She had her mind made up before the test, I bet. "Holden Dippledorf." He goes up and drops it into Dauntless.

"He's cute, so." Liv whispers.

"Willow Garcia." He says. She looks confused. I've seen her in the halls at school. She picks Dauntless though. "Artie Smalls." He says. He goes up and picks Dauntless. He's Amity so I don't know why he'd pick it. "Diggie Fitzpatrick." He is super cute! He sits at our table, but doesn't really talk that much. He has a black eye, which makes him mysterious. He cuts his hand, hovers it over Abnegation, and looks back at his dad. He shakes his head and goes to Dauntless.

"Now, he's cute." I whisper to Liv.

"Audrey O'Day." He says. I see Joey blush. She chooses Erudite. Still, Joey's blush doesn't go away. "Skippy Rodriguez." He says. He chooses Dauntless. "Parker Rooney." He says.

When he gets to me, he whispers "Forgive me." I don't know what he means until he goes up there. He cuts his hand and chooses Erudite. Mom and Dad are shocked. I knew Parker would pick it. He's the smartest one.

"Joseph Rooney." He says. He also chooses Erudite. He told me he'd go where Parker went. "Maddison Rooney." He says. I look back, hug Liv, and go up. I cut my hand and drop it in Dauntless. I look back and my parents. They look disappointed. "Olivia Rooney." He says. She says something to mom and dad and then does the same as me.

"Good luck in your factions!" Dianne says. Dauntless starts to run out.

Diggie's POV

All of us start to run out. I'm really glad Maddie joined. We all had to climb up. I saw Maddie rocking it. Then, the train came. We all started to run. That Skippy guy comes up to me. "You gotta jump on it!" He yells. He does what he said and makes it on. Liv make it on as well. Oh, Artie did too. Holden and Andie jump on as well. I manage to make it on.

"Someone help Maddie!" Liv yells. I look out and see her falling behind. I stick my hand out.

"Come on Rooney! Gimmie your hand!" I yell. She sticks her arm out. I grab her and pull her in. Then, the train gets off the platform. "That was close." I say.

"Thanks." She says. I see she's starting to cry.

"I would've made sure you'd got in." I say with a smile.

"So would I." A man says. I've never seen him. He has so many damn tattoos. His hair is shaved on the sides with a slick Mohawk. His eyes look sorta yellow in a way. "I'm Jordan Snivley. And you're good looking." He says. He winks and walks away.

"He's disgusting." I say.

"I know." Maddie says.

"Let's go!" A voice yells. I see a lot of people jumping off.

"Let's go." Liv says with a smile. I take Maddie's hand and jump off. Once we're all off, a man meets us. "I'm Xavier. Now, one of you, jump!" He says. I immediately stepped forward. I took of my overcoat and just jumped. I felt like I was gonna die. I got blasted back to reality when I hit the net.

"Name." A girl says. She has three birds on her neck as a tattoo. "I changed mine. You can change yours if you want." She says.

"Diggie." I say.

"I'm Tris. Welcome to Dauntless." She says. I sit and wait for Maddie to come down. When she does, she comes to me.

"Hide me." She says.

"Why?" I ask. I see Jordan come down. I hide her behind my back.

"You've seen her anywhere?" He asks. I shake my head and he goes away.

"Well, let's get started." I say with a smile.