chapter 10

Once we broke through the tree line, it was a straight shot to Lothlórien, or so we thought. The sun was rising as we speak and the hobbits grew more and more tired as we walked. Their stomachs growling from hunger.

"Surely we can stop and take a rest now," I begin as I hear Sam's stomach grumble beside me. "We are protected by the Silvan elves, no one troubles us," I add and stop in my tracks as Aragorn does.

He turns towards me with an almost defeated look but he says surely, "For now."

I roll my eyes and gesture to the hobbits to sit, who promptly plopped down against the tall trees and are able to breath the air without their legs feel strained from all the walking.

"We get a couple hours rest then we keep moving, who knows if the elves will find us first," Aragorn pulls me aside and said. I acknowledged his statement with a just nod and look back at the group.

"I hear the hobbits and Gimli growing suspicious," I say quietly, because I had a feeling Boromir was watching Aragorn and I's exchange. He most certainly is jealous of Aragorn and I, and I simply hate that he may think that way. Clearly he doesn't get the hint I'm not interested in him.

Aragorn's face twists up in confusion at my words and I scoff.

"Clearly you are less suspicious than the rest of us," I say and cross my arms over my chest.

"Suspicious of what, Tame? About you and I?" Aragorn questions me and my heart instantly goes rapid, my cheeks feeling warm.

"No about, Sam and his potatoes," I begin and Aragorn smirks before I say, "Yes, you and I. Not saying anything in particular, but I've heard what they say. They think we're more than friends."

There was a pause, which scared me a bit. I didn't know what Aragorn might be thinking. He could be confused, troubled, or even feel distant. Or worse, not think of me as more than friends, because at this point I have never been so close with Aragorn and it feels great. Maybe it would have been for the best to keep my mouth shut.

"Well I mean just by the looks of us going off to talk amongst ourselves instead as a group, could give those signals to others," Aragorn begins to rationalize, but I just wasn't buying it.

"Oh you big oof," I say and ball my hands into fists, my heart could be heard for miles as my cheeks burned with passion. "Can't you see I'm trying to tell you I like you, Aragorn," I finally spit out. "Since before we left I have felt this way and us being together has made my feelings ever more real," I add and avoid eye contact with the man, his gaze strong and piercing against the top of my blonde head.

But there was no tenseness in the air, it felt soft and airy. Aragorn seemed relaxed, nothing but a hand resting gently at the hilt of his sword as he peered at me deep in thought. Me on the other hand, my head hung low, my cheeks a crimson red as every delicate hair on my arms rose from nerve. We had obviously caused a scene now, why would I look to have my head lowered in front of Aragorn. This is what the company ponders.

"I know." Aragorn finally speaks and I look up, shocked to hear his reply. Before I could question, Aragorn further says, "I have known of these feelings since long before we embarked on this journey, and your display at the pond several weeks ago confirmed my assumptions."

I was at a loss for words. For him to know exactly how I feel and for how long, was I being that desperate? Am I that much of a flirt for him to recognize such adoring feelings. I simply thought of it as child's play, but this I feared more. Whether he felt the same or not, that was beyond my eyes to see.

Aragorn is a very closed off man, takes things seriously, and sticks to his roots rather than branching off. I'm foolish to have fallen for him, but I cannot help myself.