Chapter 5

Antone tapped Hazel awake a few hours later as the announcements played over the speaker.

"Chicago, Illinois, one mile, Chicago, Illinois, one mile." And they got up, grabbed their luggage (Hazel's book bag), and found themselves out on an indoor platform. It was crowded and echoey and noisy, which made the two a little nervous and confused. Especially for Hazel who had to control all the noisy thoughts and lock them out.

Antone led him up a flight of concrete stairs and up to the outdoors. It was blinding out there only for a moment before their eyes adjusted to the bright but clouded skies. Hazel stuck close to Antone. This place scared him a little. He wasn't used to crowds or cars or traffic. Big, tall, looming buildings. Construction sites. These were all new things to both of them.

"Steady. Just...Concentrate." Hazel closed his eyes in the midst of all the noise and chaos and began to think. He was trying to locate Kali.

"Where...are...you?" He thought, and he thought it hard, sending it her way.

"We...are...in...Chicago..." he saw the image in his mind changing and he saw a sign labeled, "31st Street," then he heard her soft voice whispering the words, "Turn left," then the words, "Under the bridge in the warehouse beyond." Then he saw the image of a dimly neon-lit room with a large caravan parked inside and a set of stairs leading up to another dimly lit room, graffiti plastered on almost every wall. Then the image vanished. He had the memory of it, so he could easily look back on it.

He opened his eyes.

"I'm ready. Let's go." He told Antone and they set forth on their journey.