Chapter 23: The Proposal (UPDATED)

Meika first instinct was to protest, but this was not the time for rash words or hasty action. If the wizard wanted them to stay, he could make them—they could not resist the kind of magic he controlled. If he wanted them gone, that could be just as easily arranged—Bairo was proof of that.

So, instead of crying foul, Meika put down the White Cant—still not her favorite—and reached for another of the many wines. This one was ruby red, rich in flavor, with hints of citrus and spices, and very heavy. Ela always put water in their wine. Apparently, you didn't do that at the baron's table.

"Thank you for your hospitality, but we must take our leave." Darya got to her feet, looking at her friends for support. At the same time, an angry-looking Valant rose and planted both hands on the table.

"Silence!" the wizard snapped. All sound left the room. All Meika could hear was her own breathing and heartbeat. "Sit!" Jakov's command cut through the silence, and Darya and Valant slumped back down as if they were puppets and their stings had been cut. Even Meika, who remained seated, felt the power of the compulsion press her body into the chair.

"As you have surmised, I put you to sleep. As I did with Bairo before you. You were already so tired I needed only a touch of magic." The baron's lips twitched, and he reached for his own glass of red. "While you were in the dreamlands, I walked your minds and learned your secrets. And, I think, found a path forward for all of us. So, I will explain my case, then you will be allowed to speak, one at a time. In the meantime, you will behave yourselves. I will not have chaos in this house."

Meika smiled at the wizard and lifted her glass to toast his health, but no words came out. She could move freely, however, which was good to know in case things took a turn for the worse. Hopefully, it wouldn't—because Meika had no idea what she'd do if they had to fight the baron.

"I have a proposal: You three will stay here at Deepwood—indefinitely—as my honored guests. Naturally, you will want for nothing, but you may not leave the manor without my permission. At first, you will not understand, but in time, you will realize why you must remain here—at which point you will be free to leave should you still desire.

"As a token of my sincerity, I will leave the rod in your care. And, should you still wish to go to Rasselin, I will teach you to use it so that you will have it in your power to release him—or not."

Darya's lips moved, but Meika couldn't hear a thing, and Valant's attempts to break free of the holding spell led precisely nowhere.

"Please, hear me out. All will be made clear, I promise. Besides, none of you have the strength of will to break my spells. I wield the elder magic, not the petty sorcery of the Inner Kingdoms. You have guessed this already, have you not?" The baron smiled one of his thin smiles at Meika.

She smiled back at him, trying not to look too happy. Getting complimented by a wizard didn't happen every day.

"While you are here, I will teach you the art of magic. Your talents are varied, to say the least. Meika is already an accomplished little witch but could be a great wizard with the proper tutelage." The baron looked straight at Ela's adoptive daughter. "And as you well know, this is a priceless offer. Nowhere else will you find a tutor as knowledgeable as myself. Together we will explore such magics as have been forgotten by the rest of the world."

Meika's heart fluttered. Ela had taught Meika many things but had always been very restrictive. As a result, Meika's lessons had primarily been about healing, minor divinations, and lesser enchantments. Enough for a village healer but insufficient to tackle this new life of adventure. If she was going to make it, she needed to learn more. Much more. And Jakov, strange though he might be, seemed like the best—and only—option.